Thompson Encore/Pro Hunter

swpc629

I recently purchased a Thompson Pro Hunter. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. But I was talking with a friend and he stated that the best I could hope for was 2" groups at 100 yards. I am wondering if this is true and if not true what some other people's experinces.

I recently purchased a Thompson Pro Hunter. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. But I was talking with a friend and he stated that the best I could hope for was 2" groups at 100 yards. I am wondering if this is true and if not true what some other people's experinces.

It's a bit silly to make such a statement about any rifle. You will find many shooters who get 1" groups right out of the box with a preferred load. Some Encore shooters do even better. IMO any 2 piece stocked rifle ie: Encore, Ruger #1, etc. is harder to get to shoot accurately than a properly bedded bolt rifle but that doesn't mean that it's not possible.

If your Encore doesn't shoot well there are several methods that can be employed to enhance it's accuracy. For whatever its worth, my Encore muzzleloader shoots 1" groups regularly and it is out-of-the-box except for a little trigger work.

I have 2 Encore barrels. 7mm Rem, Mag and 25-06 Pro Hunter. Both shoot fine. 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo. Haven't reloaded for them yet. All I have done is install an oversized hinge pin from Mike Bellm T/C. I have a friend with a couple of barrels also, and they shoot fine for him with no mods. There are a few good Encore forums with good info and tips, online. These rifles are really handy carry rifles.
Good luck.

I can assure you that I have several Encore barrels that will shoot much better than 2", Including a 15 inch 7mm-08 pistol that will shoot sub MOA with just about anything you would like to feed it. To say that you can't expect better than 2" with a TC just exhibits a lack of understanding or experience.

I have a very good buddy who just took a friends TC that he said wouldn't shoot and added rubber washers to float the forend, relieved the ears of the forend around the hinge pin and had it shooting 1/2 inch groups in about 1 hour. Usually very simple work on an Encore and it will shoot better than the person behind it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.