Thompson Contender 35rem. Super 14

AZTrapper

I have a Thompson Contender in 35 Rem. that I owned since new, I is the first model that they started with. I know or believe the limit on range is about 200-250 yards. I have want to change to something that will give me a longer range gun. I am planning to put a Burris Scope on it. Now after reading about the frame flexing with some of the larger magnums I am at a lost as what barrel to use. I know I would want something between 14-17 inches. But what cailber do you think would be best as well as "safe" I would like something for deer out to 700-800 yards as well as elk (mainly cow) out to 400-500 yards. ( I never get drawn for bull here in Ariz.) What do you guys think would be best?

AzTrapper

Trapper

The TC contender was built for loads in the 30 to 40'000 cup
pressure range, If you want to shoot above that you need
to get a Encore.

One of the best TC rounds is the 7/30 Waters but its only
good for about 500yrds on deer size game.

I have a 444 super 14 that is death on hogs at 300 yrds an
down.

So if you want to shoot 7 or 800 yrds the encore or an XP type
pistol is what you want, Then you can shoot what ever calibre
you are man enough to.

Just my thoughts
J E CUSTOM

AZ,
If indeed you have the Contender and not the Encore, the 7x30 Waters is one of the best. There are some wildcats which will outperform the Waters, but not by much. Certainly not at the distances you are wanting for elk and deer.
In the Encore, my ideal cartridge for your goal would be the 280 Rem Improved with a 1-9 twist barrel.

Since you are looking at buying a new frame or SP to meet your goals (assuming you own a Contender), you have plethera of options.
Picking up a used Striker or XP and having them customized, H-S Precision's specialty handgun, MOA Maximum, and the Encore.
Personally, the break-open's are at the bottom of my list for big game hunting for one main reason: They can be extremely finicky in POI shifts with changes of pressure on the forend. Field shooting is a lot different in that you find yourself in a lot of odd positions trying to make a shot that is less than ideal compared to shooting off the bench. I want repeatability no matter what.
Sometime after the first of the year there will be a new specialty handgun coming out, rear-grip with an external detachable magazine if so desired. Since I don't have one in my hands yet, I can't say for sure what to expect, but mine will be in a 280 Imp. for what it's worth.
Can't say enough good about a tricked center-grip XP built by talented accuracy smith. I have several and they are my favorite, but they are expensive.
The MOA is a great SP. It is a rear-grip, free floated, interchangeable barrels, great adjustable trigger. I used a MOA in 7mm Rem Mag Imp to win a 1,000 yard competition that was held just outside of Sundance, WY that is specifically for SP's. Actually they had a 500 yard, 750 yard and 1K matches.
The second annual comp will be in June of 08 again just outside of Sundance, WY. Rich Mertz the owner and builder of MOA's is 307-283-3030.
There are several guys here on this forum that have or are toying with building a specialty pistol action/handgun. If any of them choose to respond that would be their choice.
Plus, there are several smith's on the forum that will customize XP's or Striker's.
Kirby (fiftydriver built my 7mm Dakota XP).

Back to your orginal question.
There are a number of cartridges that would accomplish your goals. Deciding what you want and the type of SP, type of grip (center or rear), overall weight, LER or rifle scope, etc. is where all the fun is.

Yes it is a Contender frame I bought it when they first came out! So i guess it's time to save up and buy a new gun oh darn :) Now which to save for I do like the T/C looks but the Xp's maybe the way to go. I am thinking about or wanting to build something more the my old T/C can ever give me. So it will stay as it is 35 Rem with a 2X scope and ranges to about 250 yards. Now to deside what to save for. Would one of the short mags be good in a Striker or XP be a good choice or is there something better? I have about 1/2 saved up for what I am thinking the costs would be. $1300.00 saved or should i think about more.

More:D
The 7mmWSM would be a good choice in a XP.
As far as non belted cases, the next step up from the 7WSM is the 7mm Dakota. It is approx 1/2 longer than the WSM.

What you said about after the first of the year is interesting as for some reason the rear grip is kind of what I am wanting. You are right in many ways about the planning. I wouldn't make a different belted or non-belted. Scope wise the Burris 3X-12X handgun scope would be my choice. ( I think I got that right) Thanks for all your help.

The XP-100R (also discontinued) is basically a Model 7 that Remington built as a handgun. You can find these used and go from there as basis if you want. Or you can take the original XP and put a rear grip stock on it.
McGowen barrels has been purchased by a group of guys and they are updating and adding to Harry's equipment.
McGowen Precision Barrels, LLC Home
They will also be turning out a line of actions and some of them will also be built as handgun actions.
These will be rear-grip models.

Ihad a Contender carbine in 35 Rem with an 18" barrel I used it as a "boat" gun for the longest time butit was lost in Hurricane Katrina.

I played around with shooting pistol bullet out of it for a while , I got the 180gr Hornady XTP to shoot pretty well out of it 2" at 100yds and it was an awsome close range (10-150yds) deer bullet , I also shot some of the 125gr XTP bullets out of it with accuracy in the 2.5" at 100yd range and talk about an explosive bullet !!! , I shot a few feral dogs and cat with it out to 50yds and the destruction was awsome to say the least.

Anyway back to the subject , like everybody else has said the Contender just won't handel the pressure that it takes to make enough power to do what you want it to do. So if your set on the TC style the next step is the Encore but your still limited to using regular magnum cases as the Dakota , WSM and RUM case is to fat to use in the Encore and get respectable velocities with safely , then you can get a bolt style that will handel ALOT more than the Encore can

Weatherby started making their pistol again and it comes in a few calibers that may suit you, don't know much about them , but they sure looked nice and well built. Local store had a few ,but don't remember the price. Good luck on your new project!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.