This was Interesting: RL-17 308 WIN

169 Sierra is a true 1000 yd bullet where the 168 was designed for 600 yard but can be stretched to 800.

I use a reamer where the shank/boat tail is .020 above the shoulder/neck junction of the case with supurb accuracy.
I can seat the 200.20X in this CBI to an OAL of 3.010. CBTO 2.222

I love RL17 and don't sweat the fire cracks, you can't see em and she'll keep shooting just fine, Let Her Eat
I use exclusively 17 in both my 6.5 creeds. Awesome performance and my barrels last as long as most creeds do. I use it for both my hunting and competition loads.

Been using RL-17 ever since Bob Jensen and German Salazar reviewed it on Accurate Shooter.
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/alliant-reloder-17/

I have a long throated 338 RCM that has been fed a straight diet of this powder for just under 500 rounds. About the same for a SA 284 with same powder. I am not seeing excessive firecracking in the throat with either rifle when using my hawkeye borescope.

The barrel heating index that quick load produced says for equal pressures RL-17 has a heat index of 3990 which is similar to many powders like RL-22, BLC-2 or Tac. I was surprised to see Varget's value is 4050.

I would not worry about the barrel and go ahead and use RL-17.

Barrels are considered "consumables". I have a Hawkeye and a Teslong, they do not lie. There are degrees of fire cracking, and it is easy to tell which powders start the fire cracking quicker when you clean down to bare metal. Some powders will "wash" the lands out vs fire cracking. Some will "cook" the powder fouling so hard on the bore that they are somewhat difficult to get out. Choose your poison.

OP, I suggest that you go over to accurateshooter.com where a flock of national champions hangs out along with F class gunsmiths, and you will get some first-hand experience with guys that are currently shooting the 200x in competition. Remember that barrels are consumables, and how fast you want to consume is up to you. Measure your leade growth every 100 rounds.

Last edited:
Barrels are considered "consumables". I have a Hawkeye and a Teslong, they do not lie. There are degrees of fire cracking. Some powders will "wash" the lands out vs fire cracking. Some will "cook" the powder fouling so hard on the bore that they are somewhat difficult to get out. Choose your poison.
You're right. At least I'll have a full test of RL17 with 1000 200.20X and 8lbs of RL17!

What do you recommend for the 30" 308?

Top three powders in FTR with the 200 class bullets are Varget N150 N150 and someitmes AR Comp, although none of the top tier dudes are using it. Top three bullets are 200Hybrid 200 20X and 185Juggernaut nothing else is really competitive.

If you can manage temp swings throughout the day you might be able to make RL17 work. It's all about holding vertical from the first string to the last. Muzzle velocity migration through the day is a deal.

Recent Posts