This looks very wrong to me

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bishop, May 28, 2011.

1. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

I can hang my finger nail on that rough patch you see going around the bullet in this pic. Feels pretty rough.

Coupled with the expander ball problem I had with the F/L die from this set.

Did i get a bad set of dies?

My 300wm dies dont put rings like this around the bullet.

Sorry for posting tons of questions hope i dont wear you guys out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon for the seating stem to leave a ring around the bullet. Especially if there is a lot of neck tension present. You mentioned expander ball problems. Could it be that your expander is not expanding the necks enough? If the force needed to seat the bullets does not seem to be more than with your other dies, then take a bullet and some lapping compound and lap the seater stem to remove sharp edges and/or burrs.

3. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

I would take the seating stem out of the die and using a bullet with some valve grinding compound on it to lap in the the seating nose and smooth things out.

4. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys ill do just that seems like thats all it needs. Although i dont like how much my F/L die is working the necks compared to my 300wm neck sized only cases that i used a lee collet neck sizer die on. These sized only about .002 smaller than bullet diameter and were much much easier to seat bullets into. I observed no bullet ringing with my 300wm cases that were only neck sized as well.

5. BuckSnort

BuckSnort Well-Known Member

I would contact the die manafacturer and see if they can swap you dies... chances are if you are having a expander ball issue you may also be pulling the necks out of square as well..

6. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

That looks very wrong to me too!

I've never seen a bullet get that marked up from seating.

7. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Agreed. Seems to me that seating stem is putting a great deal more pressure on the bullet than 'normal'.

8. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

My Sizing die is putting .004 neck tension on my brass good, bad, or ugly? My 300 mag only has .002 neck tension and it loads like butter.

If these die's turn out to be gimped ill return them or call the manufacturer.

Def not liking what im seeing atm though it doesnt seem right.

9. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Well-Known Member

It can't put that much pressure on the bullet without resistance from the neck of the case.
    Too much neck tension will do that!

10. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Exactly.

11. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Rodger that guys, too much neck tension these puppy's are going back.

Just to make sure i wasnt screwing something up, I lapped the inside of the seater stem and tried again, still doing it.