This is what I want in a scope. What options are there?

I have a 2.5x10x42 NF that I'd sure sale --- if anyone is interested.. I think it's like new, has an HV reticle

I have really wondered about this, and how the two scope characteristics (glass quality and objective size) compares, when it comes to resolving power in low light.

As far as I understand, because the pupil of the eye can open up to about 5-7 mm, and thus a 40 mm objective is best used with 6x magnification, as that gives roughly a 7 mm stream of light through the ocular. Lower magnification should be perceived as just as bright, but obviously with less magnification and thus it would be harder to see the target. With a smaller objective, say 24 mm, my 30 year old eyes wouldn't be able to make use of a magnification over 3-4x, before the image would appear darker. It might be that I'm botching the science here, but that's the best understanding I've been able to get. A lot of the articles on the subject are written as if they are scientific fact, while in reality they mostly remind me of the writings on "TKO" of old.

So well, if the z8 and z6 scopes with 24 mm objective perform better or worse than my old ragged Nikon with the 40 mm objective, I don't know. I'd love to see a thorough test.

I have done this with several scopes at low light. Glass quality trumps objective and magnification almost every time. The dang Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56 is one of the best low light performing scopes I have ever seen - better than several scopes 2 and 3 times more expensive. That is the only exception I have seen. Eyes are different tho, I am only 37, its not like my eyes are on their last legs yet.

If you could deal with MOA adjustments, the leupold vx6hd 2-12 fits your description very well.
You could customize the reticle, but the website doesn't show the ffp mil dot available for this model. A call to customer service would be worth the time.
The glass quality difference will be night and day vs your Nikon. I say that with respect to Nikon, because they have decent glass quality for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts