Thinking bout a custom

Zookman,

My son and I just built a 7mm rem mag on a savage action and we got it done for less than $700.00. We just shot it this morning and it print .75" group at 100 with a 12mph 9 o-clock wind. I dont think that is to shabby for our first build. If your pennies are tight savage is the way to go imo.

Good luck, JRW

Im just now having my first true custom done. I am building a 7 stw on a rem 700 action with a broughton bbl i am pretty excited. I had a sendero converted to ackley improved. There is a special feeling about having a custom rifle built. It is a time consuming process but i think it is well worth it. I traded for the rifle i used for the action. The bbl was about 560.00 and the action work and bedding and install will be about 400.00.

Thats easy,

Remy trued up.
Cut rifled barrel.
medalist stock
tune factory trigger.
skim bed in stock.
fit and chamber.
Cerakoat the metal.

Savage action timed by Sharp Shooter Suppply. Fred there keeps them on hand for under $400-500 depending on which one you want.

SSS also has drop in chambered match grade barrels for $325

Stockys new Savage stock with bedding block (under $300) laminate, clear coated with recoil pad. Ready to drop in.

20 MOA base

Spend the rest on reloading and quality scope.

BH

Plenty to choose from,
Remmy would be a good start being a light action and plenty bits to add.
Howa would have a useable trigger if tuned well and one of the best designed actions.

Roedale built my semi 308 on an old Sako L579 action, which is maybe the father of the howa action design just made with a smaller bolt and lighter. Even older Sako's have very good quality metals in the action. Down side was I had to refit one of our stocks and soon will refit an aftermarket magazine system.

Extremely happy with the Lothar Walther match barrel which is heavy magnum sporter profile. 1" at 300m are doable. Barrel does not seem to be sensitive to heating up either. Annoyed a few TRG's etc. at 300yd competitions who didn't like being beat by a "huntin" rifle.

L579 in 308, 22" LW 1450 stainless match, PSE Carbon stock, 6.5-20x50 conquest, ultra light Roedale Delta 5 suppressor (6.2 oz), 20 MOA rail

DSCN2161.jpg

edi

For what you want. This is my suggestion. Buy a Remington Sendero for $1200.00 and put a $1200.00 Leupold scope on it from Greybull Precision.
Work up a reload and you are ready.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.