Thinking about starting a scouting service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wyodog, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Wyodog

Wyodog Well-Known Member

OK guys I am thinking about starting a new business offering a scouting service in Southern Wyoming. What i would like to know is if the people on this site would be willing to pay for someone to scout an area for them prior to a hunt.

I have a lot of experience guiding big game hunters and know southern Wyo very good.

What do you think? Is this idea a go or no go?

2. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

I had a similar idea quite a few years ago here in Idaho more as something to do as I was always in the mountains but never followed through. In the backcountry such as the Frank Church and the Sawtooth Wilderness there is some excellent hunting to be had if you know where to go and the country is criss crossed with horse trails that show on no map. For a non resident it is nearly impossible to hunt country like that successfully without a guide but with good info the nonresident would know where to start or what was needed to be successful .

The way things are today I think a scouting service for the nonresident do it yourself hunter in areas of their choice or your recommendations could be a fairly decent seasonal business. The service you could offer in the way of info is endless and definitely worth a few bucks. Just need to think things through and devise a good business plan. It's doable! You won't get rich but might pay for the future long range rifles.

3. desertbull

desertbull Well-Known Member

It's a lot of work....trust me. But it gets you out of the house and you can make enough to go on a hunt or buy a gun or something without the wifey giving you the stink eye. You won't get rich or even make a living off of it, but that was not the intention anyway.

Desert Bull hunting Maps and Scouting - DIY Arizona

4. Wyodog

Wyodog Well-Known Member

In no way could i make a living scouting but that's why I have a real job. I guide big game hunters in the fall, trap and hunt predators all winter. I have time to scout for others pre season and maybe make a buck or two along the way. As you all know our sport is expensive and I'm just looking for options to make a little back.