Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber advice

jdk81

My gun collection is currently: .22lr bolt, 5.56 ar, .223 stevens, 30-06 remmy, .50 muzzleloader, and a coulple shotguns. This collection basically covers anything that I could hunt in North America, so I would say that I have the base gun collection complete. Now I want to begin adding specific calibers for specific purposes. :D

I am a novice when it comes to long range shooting, basically. I want to get a gun that is fairly economic to shoot since I will be using factory ammo for a little while until I get all my reloading supplies. I want the gun to be a good "training" gun, that I can still use for medium-long range hunting if I get the urge. Something that will not kill the shoulder because I want my lady to be able to shoot it as well.

I was thinking like a .260 maybe? What do you guys think?

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: I plan on getting a rem 700 that has a B&C stock with the heavy varmint barrel. I will bed the action and attempt to accurize it as much as I can, for a beginner rifle.

Re: Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber adv

I think you are on the right track and have picked a super caliber...the 260 is a great round.

One suggestion I would make is to look into a custom rifle as it seems you have the basics down and once you start down this road you'll probably wish you would have purchased a custom. One place to look for an affordable long range custom is Snowy Mountain Custom Rifles - Quality performance rifles for long range marksmanship. they are a sponsor here and offer a couple of options that will get you into a nice custom rifle without breaking the bank.

Re: Thinking about adding a long range rifle to the collection and I need caliber adv

Yea that was another consideration in my purchase. I want it to be really accurate, mostly for a confidence builder, but I do NOT want to go out and spend $2500 or more on this rifle. I want a nice long range gun and I would like to keep the cost around $1000, or lower if possible.

If you could raise your budget to about $1,500 for the rifle only, that would really help open up alot of roads to travel down...

Just saying...

For a true long range hunting rifle for deer sized game and up to 1,000-15,00 yards, you're gonna want a large magnum caliber... 7mm STW, .300 WinMag, . 338 RUM, .30-378 Wby, something along those lines.

Also, you're gonna want a good scope, and just a long range Nightforce scope will run you $1,700-$2,300.

There's really no cheap way to get into this game, unfortunately.

Build a custom savage. You can build your own savage with match quality barrel for under $1000 and it will shoot just as good as a more expensive set up. They have nearly as much after market support as the Remington's with the added bonus of not requiring a smith to get it all set up. The 260 is a fantastic cartridge for what you are wanting to do. The 6.5 creedmoor may offer the better factory ammo options though with nearly identical performance.

Savage model 12 LRP in .260 and never look back. Can be found for under 1K out the door. Is heavy but is a long range rig.

I was also thinking of doing that Savage build idea. I was thinking like a Savage 10 action with a bell and carlson stock and a nice match barrel. I like the idea of savage because I like being able to do things myself. It will probably get mounted with a nice cheap vortex, I am not going to spend $2k on the scope right now. Eventually I plan on having a super nice and accurate setup, but I need to "train" myself first.

What do you think about that action? Should I look for a different one? I have just heard good things about the 10s.

The 10 is a fine action. If you really wanted to do it right you should contact Jim over at Northland Shooters Supply and pick up one of the Savage Varmint actions. He also sells the barrels and whatever other parts you would need.

IMO, the Rem 7mm Magnum would be an ideal cartridge for starting out in LRH. Available ammo with wide selection of bullets. Decent power out to 1000 yds. I also like the idea of building your own custom Savage. Unless you are looking at the Sendero model, Remington has become a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to accuracy.

Well, you already have a short action Stevens. You could change it to a .260 (or AI version) but you would have to change the bolt head out and depending on the magazine, there may be some feeding issues. Not sure how your Stevens is set up (thinking blind magazine, so may need different follower). Any of the other SA cartridges (.308 family/.473" case head) should work.
Of course, in order to get the pre-fit barrel screwed on right you're gonna have to look at a barrel nut wrench, barrel vise, action wrench and go, no-go gauges.

This is all doable for a lot less than a full blown custom and YOU did it. Just saying.....:) JohnnyK.

Thanks for all the advice. I am not going to use my SA savage for a different gun. I like that .223 and it will stay there. I think what I will do is just keep my eyes open for an action, or even a deal on a used gun possibly. I might just buy a "cheaper" .260 and upgrade the stock and barrel in the near futureish.

Thanks again!

IMO, the Rem 7mm Magnum would be an ideal cartridge for starting out in LRH. Available ammo with wide selection of bullets. Decent power out to 1000 yds. I also like the idea of building your own custom Savage. Unless you are looking at the Sendero model, Remington has become a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to accuracy.
I agree, on Remingtons being a crap-shoot on the lower-end models. Once you get to the $750 and up price range, things start to accurize a good bit better. For example the CDL models, Senderos, 5R MilSpecs, and specialty models.

7mm RemMag, .300 WinMag, either of those would be great starter LR calibers, and you can buy good quality factory ammo for them, and save the brass for when you do reload.

The 6.5s are great. Pick one. 260 is a great choice, creed, etc.

The fact you have a .308 caliber makes me lean toward the 6.5. Better BC bullets with out the recoil of the 06. I love my remington 700 BDL 3006 but my 6.5-284 is my go to rifle now. 7's are nice too, such as the 7mm 08. Great caliber.

Couple of ideas for you. Remington has some good heavy barreled stuff for just north of $1k. You can get a 5R in 300 win mag that comes with a 24" threaded barrel. Throw on a muzzle brake for range shooting and for the little lady, unscrew it for the hunt to save your ears. This gun would weigh around 10-11 lbs finished and with a brake would kick very little. The 300 has enough poop to kill deer or elk out to 1000.

Another option would be to look for a cheap used gun and have it rebarreled. Pac Nor will true the action and install a custom barrel for $600 plus shipping both ways. You'd be looking at about a 8-9 lb gun finished. For this option I'd go with something in the 6.5/260 range. Even a .270 win would work nicely. It would be great for deer out to moderately long range but could be a bit light for extended pokes at elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.