Thinking about a spring over the counter bear hunt, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by sambo3006, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

I'd love to take a black bear and a spring hunt would work out better due to a baby on the way this summer. I've hunted Colorado and Utah about a dozen times all together for deer and elk but not bear. I've seen quite a few black bears, some fairly close so I know what they look like.
    I think Idaho, Montana and Wyoming offer over the counter nonresident spring bear tags, correct me if I am wrong. Any suggestions on good areas for a DIY rifle bear hunt such as spot and stalk or still hunting logging roads?
    I don't want to pack way back in but not opposed to hiking a little bit. I'm a decent shot and a nonsmoker. Thanks!

2. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

Here in Washington, spring bear is draw only - so no help here...

Guy

3. cross

cross Well-Known Member

Sambo!

You're over here at LRH too! PM sent.

Cross

4. The Guide

The Guide Well-Known Member

Montana is OTC for bears. Our spring season runs 4-15 to 6-15 dependent on the area. Any tags purchased after 4-14 have a 5 day waiting period before it is valid but the good thing is that you can buy them online before you leave on your trip. Montana is a spot and stalk state. No bait or dogs but you can use mouth blown predator calls.

Jay

5. sambo3006

I decided not to do it this year, too many irons in the fire. Looks like it is a good thing because I would have scheduled vacation time in advance for May 1. Sounds like I wouldn't have been able to get around in the snow and the bears are probably still napping. Maybe next year.

6. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Not unless your like me with a built hunting buggy, I have to order a spare front axle, because my U joint is on its second temporary weld job. Snow is record deep here in MT. Im heading out this week for a lookseegun)

Attached Files:

7. buckfynn

buckfynn Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that. Well when you are ready come on over. Idaho offers over the counter tags for both Nonresidents and residents alike for black bear.

8. Southwind

Southwind Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to hunt over bait from those areas you mentioned I think Wyoming is your option. However, maybe a Wyo res can answer this but I am pretty sure you have to register your bait site with the DOW. I know guides do I am not sure if individuals have the same regulations on that or not.

9. sambo3006

Not really interested in hunting over bait as I don't want to go with an outfitter and wouldn't have the time to set it up.
    I'm considering a fall hunt at this point. Would consider Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, possibly eastern Washington. I would hate to drive 1400-1500 miles and not even see a bear, so I'd like to have a decent game plan before I commit.