Thinking about a 264 Win mag

nite owl

I have a savage 12fvss in 300wsm thats a good shooter, but I've got the fever for new caliber. I've been lookin at the Sendero in 264 win mag as well as the 7 mag, but leaning towards the 264. Any experience like performance on deer, load recipes, or whatever let me hear it. Thanks

It was a good enough round to take the world record typical mule deer down in some good country I enjoyed hunting in the past. I have shot one for many years and it is a very good shooter. Mine is a custom on a sako action and is a tack driver. It is really close to a 257 wby which is an awesome deer/antelope round. A little less powder capacity. It is basically a 7mm rem mag necked to 264. Part of that big magnum introduction to compete with the wby's way back when. They kept all the magnums of that era short enough to fit on an '06 length action saving a bundle while Roy Weatherby just designed actions for his magnums. I think you would enjoy shooting that one. Not as much recoil for a lot of thump on a deer.

I love my .264 WinMag. For me, probably the perfect antelope rig. The 6.5mm bullets have excellent manners, the recoil is quite manageable. Extremely accurate out to 500 yards (the longest I've tried with this rig). I've also used it successfully on whitetail and blacktail deer. I even took it on an elk trip, but didn't see anything shootable.

Mine is in a Blaser R-93, which has what probably should be called a match chamber and a 26 inch barrel, and the bullet is seated to touch the rifling.

While I've tried handrolling, I'm still getting the best performance from Nosler factory 130 gr Accubond. I'm just not as obsessive as they are, I guess.

I have a savage 12fvss in 300wsm thats a good shooter, but I've got the fever for new caliber. I've been lookin at the Sendero in 264 win mag as well as the 7 mag, but leaning towards the 264. Any experience like performance on deer, load recipes, or whatever let me hear it. Thanks

Having owned both and shot both over the years, I prefer the 7mm Rem Mag. Much better bullet selection, better ammo availability in a pinch, and much easier on barrels if that is an issue. Both will kill anything you want in this country at any reasonable range.

I have shot the 7mag for quiet a few years now and usually go with 150gn NBT's. I have taken deer out to 500 yds with this bullet. I usually try to push it at least 3150fps. The .264WMag bullet is only .020" smaller in diameter, that ain't alot. That's about this wide ( " ) on my laptop screen. If Nosler would make a 150gn .264 Ballistic Tip or Accubond, not sure there'd be a lot of difference ballistically! JohnnyK

If memory serves the 7Rem Mag is just the 264Win Mag necked up aint it? I like the 6.5 but with that case capacity the 7Mag offers a lot better bullet selection. R22 and 160 grain partitions have worked great in my old Ruger 7Mag with the longest shot being a coyote just shy of 750 yards.
A cheap scratch for that ich would be a 7 or 6.5WSM barrel for the Savage you already own. The $$ saved would get you an H&S stock very similar to the Sendero,a scope upgrade and buy the dies and bullets to get you started?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.