Thinking about 2010 F150 4.6L, thoughts?

AJ Peacock

Guys,

We are thinking about trading my wifes very tired Excursion off on a used F150 with the 4.6L/6speed auto. 4x4 SuperCrew XLT.

We drove it and it is very nice. I read some bad reviews about the pre-2008 4.6L, but this one has the 3 valve and from what I've read, the bugs were pretty much worked out.

I trust you guys. It's at a dealer. Looking for general thoughts, as well as any maintenance items I should get them to perform as part of the deal. I heard that some of the 4.6's (previous years) had spark plug issues and thought about having them change plugs as well as the oil.

The truck was a lease return and is about as clean inside as a new one. The engine is pretty clean, but has had some salt spray splashed up, so it looks used. Thought about having them change out the serpentine belt as well.

Anyway, the truck will be used mostly by my wife to get groceries etc. I'll probably swipe it from time to time to pull the fishing boat (flat ground not too heavy).

Thanks all,

AJ

I would surely insist the dealer changed the plugs before you bought it. My brother in law changed his last year and it ended up costing him almost 2 grand before he was back on the road. His was an 07 so i dont know if the newer ones have the problem or not but i sure wouldnt take the chance

I have the same truck but with a 2v 4.6L engine. I love mine. The 2v uses regular spark plugs but the 3v uses ones that cost $30 each. Hey did have issues with the 6 speed trans, you may want to google that.

All I can say is that I love mine, and the fuel economy 20-26 mpg. I only use prem fuel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts