Thinkin about an new .223

Think I'm going to get one in a 223 flavor and keeping with frugal, mount one of the Weaver Kaspa scopes on it. I don't particularly like the stock configuration but if the trigger is good, I can overlook that. It will be a truck gun anyway.

I see Ruger offers one with a Redfield scope as a package...

Should make a nice smaller game rifle for closer in stuff.

I think I have 7,000 223's loaded might as well start using them.....:D

I must have 5,000 rounds in LC 05 match brass, primed, prepped and boxed for future use as well.

No I don't own an AR either.

Light hiker.

The Ruger American is a nice looking rifle.I own 3 Ruger firearms and they all perform
well. If I were to buy a Ruger American, It would be the .223, with the 1 - 8 twist
and shoot a 75 gr BTHP Hornady or sierra. The i-9 Twist I am currently shooting
groups very tightly with 69gr Sierra BTHP'. Ringing steel at 1000 yards.

Light hiker.

The Ruger American is a nice looking rifle.I own 3 Ruger firearms and they all perform
well. If I were to buy a Ruger American, It would be the .223, with the 1 - 8 twist
and shoot a 75 gr BTHP Hornady or sierra. The i-9 Twist I am currently shooting
groups very tightly with 69gr Sierra BTHP'. Ringing steel at 1000 yards.

I am the OP and appreciate all your help. Haven't bought anything yet but need to get it for this summer. I plan a pd hunt then.

On another note. Why am I not getting notified when I get a response to this thread?

thanks

Been doing a lot of home work trying to find the rifle for me. I do have a budget so 600+ dollars for a rifle and then a scope is a bit to much. Anyway, the heck of it is I like all the rifles talked about in the thread. Each has it's pro's and cons. I am hung up on, and I know I gotta let it go, the fact I have a bunch of 5.56 that I would like to use in whatever bolt rife I finally decide on. The only one I know of that is made in 5.56 is the Mossberg MVP in several variations. I read a lot of good reports but it is a new rifle and I don't believe everything I hear on any rifle. Sure would be nice to be able to use the 5.56 I have on hand though. I am looking for what everyone else wants, an accurate rifle that will shoot almost anything well. I also would like it to go 3 to 400 yards. I know that's out there and I,personally probably won't hit anything at that range but would like to be confident that the rifle could.
I do like the T/C predator but not the scope. I can get the package for about 425 or so but I would have to put a scope on it. Kinda defeats the purpose. The other thing is it has a 1:12 twist. Not sure that isn't a little slow if I wanted to shoot a little heave stuff. I like the Ruger and for the money it may be hard to beat if it will reach out for PD's. Hog hunter in .223 is nice but I don't particularly like the internal mag. As of now the best bang for the buck out of the box seems to be the 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP. At 500 bucks including the pro staff scope it seems to be hard to beat if it shoots. Heck the scope at Wallyworld is 165! Anyone have exp with this package? If so watcha think? What ever rifle I get I would like it to shoot sub moa.

You guys that shoot the Trophy Hunter or really any other standard weight barrel what are you thoughts on them for PD hunts? Do they really heat up that fast and does the poi really change that much? I figure they may heat faster than a medium weight barrel but they will also cool faster. Is a standard weight barrel ok for Pd shooting?

thanks guys

iv got a tikka t3 lite 1:8 twist. its the thin barrel, I some times use it shooting ftr class. which is 12 rounds in row and it doesn't heat up enough to change the elevation point of impact on target.
all I did was adjust the trigger down (no need to replace)
and lengthen the magazine, which was fairly easy.
I shoot 50gr vmax up to 80gr amax. I also use it in the bush stalking small fallow deer, its still fairly light even with a 6.5-20x50 scope on it.

if I was to do it again.... id do exactly the same.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE...

If you can fiti it in your budget get a Tikka in .223. It will truly be a better rifle than all the other "entry level" rifles, Weatherby included.

Yeah, I really like my Ruger American but I had a budget to stick to. I'm upgrading my Rem/HS Precision .300 WM long range competition rifle and need the money for that. Otherwise I'd have gotten the Tikka.

Thumbs,

With as many 223 Caliber rifles available, it's no wonder that making a choice becomes
frustrating.

When I chose my 223 My deciding criteria included my budget, which was around
$700.00 and what I expected the rifle to do.
That amount had to include the rifle, scope, different stock and bi pod.

With some careful shopping I got all of it for $50.00 over budget, all new in the box,
not a package deal.

iv got a tikka t3 lite 1:8 twist. its the thin barrel, I some times use it shooting ftr class. which is 12 rounds in row and it doesn't heat up enough to change the elevation point of impact on target.
all I did was adjust the trigger down (no need to replace)
and lengthen the magazine, which was fairly easy.
I shoot 50gr vmax up to 80gr amax. I also use it in the bush stalking small fallow deer, its still fairly light even with a 6.5-20x50 scope on it.

if I was to do it again.... id do exactly the same.

I like the TFR class too. my 223 rifle cools down between distance moves. 12 rounds
doesn't tend to heat it much. I use a 10-20x50 scope and my loads with a sierra 69
bthp. Set up on the G7 ballistics calculator. Make a print out of each load. works great.

Thumbs,

With as many 223 Caliber rifles available, it's no wonder that making a choice becomes
frustrating.

When I chose my 223 My deciding criteria included my budget, which was around
$700.00 and what I expected the rifle to do.
That amount had to include the rifle, scope, different stock and bi pod.

With some careful shopping I got all of it for $50.00 over budget, all new in the box,
not a package deal.

You said a mouth full there for sure.

I have the MVP Varmint , been shooting it for about 2 months now. loves 62gr. with Varget, shoots 1.2 inch groups at 200 yards. I am a Savage fan just thought I would try something different and couldn't be happier. The trigger adjust down to just under 3 lbs. for an out of the box rifle it shoots surprisingly well.

I have the MVP Varmint , been shooting it for about 2 months now. loves 62gr. with Varget, shoots 1.2 inch groups at 200 yards. I am a Savage fan just thought I would try something different and couldn't be happier. The trigger adjust down to just under 3 lbs. for an out of the box rifle it shoots surprisingly well.

Do you find the barrel heats up fast? Just wondering one of the things I want the rifle for is PD hunting where quite a few rounds are fired in short order.

I have only shot it this winter , around 100 rounds in an hours time at the farm I shoot at here in Wisconsin . Outside temp was around 30 degrees it didn't warm up to much in the cold temps. I wouldn't know how it would be in the summer, but I am going to find out this summer in WY. Pdog shoot'n at a friends ranch. I always bring 2 guns with me so they can cool down a bit. I would also look at the Savage Axis under $300.00 Boyds stock $100.00 some clean up on the trigger and you have another sub moa rifle on the cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.