...the wind...IS very humbling....

6.5x61Super

Caliber = 6.5WSSM
Loading = 140 gr. Berger VLD, 44.6 gr. RL17
Velocity = 3,030 fps
Shot Distance = 652 yards
Clicks [1/8"@100 yrds] = 99.2
Wind = North by Northwest 10 -12 mph with gust to 18mph

...I had bought this 8" AR500 steel plate from ebay last winter...finally got around to making a frame at work.

Today, was my first opportunity to "shoot the steel".

I checked my chart and at 650 yards, a 10mph crosswind would require 21.9" of windage. I was hesistant on "dialing" the windage so I decided to "hold off".

I was shooting due East, with the wind coming from my left and crossing from behind my left shoulder at times. First shot I held off what I guessed to be 16"....since I knew the steel plate was 8" in diameter.

First shot was HIGH and to the RIGHT. I reduced the number of clicks from 99 to 90. I forgot that my shot was NOT on perfectly level ground...I was about 150' higher than my target.

Second shot had perfect elevation but was still right.

Third shot..I held what I guessed at 24"...the wind started blowing harder and appeared to be more from my left than quartering from behind me....

BAM...........GONG..........a HIT!!

I tried to quickly load a 4th round.....got my sight picture....held again 24" to the left............just when I was squeezing...

..the wind died............BAM...........MISS........I hit about 12" to the left of the gong....

5th shot....I held about 20" to the left.........

BAM...........GONG..........another HIT!!

6th and 7th shots were "near" misses...

All in all....I am somewhat satisfied.........first time I have attempted to shoot at this "extreme" range in my mind!!

as they say....practice makes perfect!!

btw....as the thread title says....

...the wind...IS very humbling....

P.S.....I think I will modify my frame.....make it wider.....how I did not hit the frame is beyond me!!

gong1.jpg

Slick set up.
I got to thinkin I had ''the magic load'' impervious to wind etc. with my 270wsm. I got a bit cocky shootin 450yds. with a headwind (from around 11:00 position) holding the best groups of my life a couple weeks ago! Then last weekend I got a reality check...........
My buddy and I shot 500yds in a hard wind form the 9 and 10:00 position.
I GOT MY BUTT KICKED!!!!! My BEST group all day was 1 inch tall and 9 inches wide! I was very humbled to say the least, but I wasnt alone. My buddy had trouble too. both of us had multiple rounds OFF the paper even with wind flags. WOAH! Wake up call for sure. Wind would either be a ''calm'' 15-20mph constant or gusting hard enough to rock you around in a prone position! Shooting accross canyon with hard wind at the target Or on the shooter was difficult at best. We had fun getting our butts handed to us by the wind tho. Very humbeling, but fun.

I like that set up. That is some heavy chain you have there. We use an R400 plate hung with chain on a re bar frame. Anyway, the wind is definitely a challenge. Nice grouping with the two that hit.

Tank

Your Right!

I walked a shot to a deer last season using spotter shots, just wanted to demonstrate the method to a newbie buddy. Here's how it went

7mm Allen Mag/160 accubond at 3575 fps

deer was ranged at 1210 yards, had a 4mph L/R wind, shooting acrossed a hollow that had L/R wind variable from 12-15 mph, 2 nd half of the bullet path had R/L wind about 6 mph.
first shot missed my spotter target by 4 MOA, dialed 4 moa more L, 2nd shot was 2 MOA L, finaly hit spotter taget on the 4th shot, but didn't take the killing shot, the newbie was watchin the impacts as I called corrections, I asked after the 4th shot what happens the next shot, he said without a doubt that deer will die, so didn't need to kill it.
RR

Learn to use it and the wind is your friend---read, study, remember and use then you will win:
SPEEDY-WINDCHART2.jpg

SPEEDIESWINDCHART.jpg

Page1_Wind.jpg

Page2_Wind.jpg

Page3_Wind.jpg

Page4_Wind.jpg

No Speedy is in Trinidad State now running the 3rd year GS program. Talk to him frequently matter of fact just hung up with him..

He is not only one of the best shooters on the planet but builds some of the most accurate rifles as well. My safe is fortunate to have many of his rifles residing in it..

THANK YOU BOSS HOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was amazingly accurate information! I feel like I just found a goldmine with that chart. Im gonna talk yo my wife to see if she can help me figure out how to down load this! I want it posted above my loading bench, in my bathroom, in my bedroom, in my Jeep, and in my pickup! I just cant ever seem to get enough of L/R/H, and the amazing amount of things I can learn here! Members with a willingness to share information that to others (me) feel is priceless. Thanks again Hoss!

You are welcome-----I have hundreds of pages of articles that Speedy has given me over the years some are his some are from others that help me tremendously.

Case in point in 2006 when I won the Missouri IBS 1K Score State Championship was I the best shooter there??? No F-ing Way!!!!! The trick was the wind and judging it. A front came through that morning in September and the wind was 15 to 30 all day from the North and Northwest. Most BR shooters bang their shots quickly for group and I am a score shooter so most of the time I am the last guy shooting on the relay. Why------- I watch conditions.

Many other things factor into this but if you cannot win even if you have a rifle that will put 10 shots into 1 hole at 1k in no wind---because the wind is always a factor..... Most neophytes completely underestimate the critical skill of judging condition especially the importance of knowing how to judge the applicability of a 6 o'clock at your back, a 8 o'clock at 600 and 7 o'clock at the target.

Last edited:
I just spent a whole day copying that down with a pencil on 4 pages of paper, and then using the formula, and made my own approximated wind drift correction chart for full value winds from 5.10.15.20.&25mph from 100-1000yds. If I could print it out I would, but I dont know how, so I squinted ALOT, and copied word for word and pic for pic everything I could make out. I can deffinately see the advantage of being computer litterate about now. But at least I coppied down that ''goldmine'' of info, so I can put it to use.
Thats Awesome info to study, and the formula is so simple to use, when you get your mind around the concept of full, half, and 0 value wind, and the change in p.o.i. wind causes. Im freakin thrilled just to squint and copy it with a pencil!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.