"The URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2017)" Announced

ELR Researcher

To move things along at hopefully brisker pace, we will be adding this special event to the 2016-2017 URSA shooting program - The URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2017).

Date: April 16, 2017

Place: URSA SoCal venue (where we normally shoot)

Objective: Provide an opportunity for the shooters who qualify (see below) to competitively engage steel at approximately 3130 yards...and win a remembrance of this inaugural event (trophy, plaque, garment, etc - TBD, not cash).

Qualification: Shooters qualify that, during regular URSA event qualification or record shooting from October 16, 2016 (our next shoot date) through April 16, 2017, score four (4) hits or more in 10 consecutive shots at 2000 or more yards.

Activities on Sunday, April 16, 2016:

The regular SoCal April 2017 shoot, i.e., the normal practice, qualification, and record shooting at 2080 yards and beyond (dependent on how well the shooters do at 2080).

The URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2017)

NOTE:The Challenge will be shot like all other URSA shoots except that (1) there will be no practice nor qualification as part of that event, and (2), the initial record round will be shot at 2640 (approx).As such, we will only be shooting at 3130 (approx) IF two or more shooters score at least 4 hits in 10 consecutive shots during record round at 2640.Thus no one is guaranteed to shoot for record at 3130. Also, and as per Operations guidelines, shooters moving between distances (in this case, from 2640 to 3130) will have up to three (3) shots (their call) to get on target before the next round begins. Finally, IF we have two or more shooters who score at least 4 hits in 10 consecutive shots during record round at 3130, we will reset the target to approx 3600 yards and shoot that distance – continuing to move out in distance until we fail to have two shooters scoring 4 in 10 at each distance. Ties at a distance will be settled by way of Sudden Death.

Practice and an Additional Challenge Qualification Opportunity: We will setup the range by 2 pm on Saturday, April 15, 2017 for anyone wanting to practice and/or qualify early for the regular SoCal April event.However, practice time priority will be given to previously-Challenge-qualified shooters. Beyond Challenge qualification opportunities during regular URSA shoots starting this month, shooters not previously qualified for the Challenge by April 14th, may attempt to qualify during qualification for the regular SoCal April event on Saturday, and during qualification and record shooting during the regular SoCal April event on Sunday.So, come and shoot the regular April SoCal event and have two more opportunities to also shoot the Challenge.Come out on Saturday afternoon and have a third opportunity.

We may (TBD) have event t-shirts made up, "I qualified for The URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2017)". Shooters qualifying prior to April 1, 2017 would be given an opportunity to purchase one each, at the exact cost for URSA to procure, for delivery at the event.

Travel Expense Assistance Opportunity: Those shooting the NorCal March 2017 event will have an opportunity to shoot for $200 (cash) in travel expense assistance. The winner will receive the cash at the end of the Challenge event. Requirement: the shooter that wins the NorCal event must shoot the Challenge or may transfer the "assistance" to another NorCal shooter that is already qualified by the NorCal March shoot and actually shoots the Challenge.

This event is still somewhat is flux as far as nailing down the details but we expect them to basically stay as noted.

If you've been looking for an incentive to shoot with us, this may be it. Hope you'll give it a try.

Those unfamiliar with URSA are referred to www.unlimitedrange.org, in particular, to http://www.unlimitedrange.org/operations.html

Joel:

Thanks for your interest, we have the same interest and much broader (US-wide and beyond).

URSA has designated multiple regions within the US - see the Contacts page (Contacts). Regional Director opportunities are unfilled for the North-East and New England regions.

The primary issue has been finding venues that will allow shooting on a semi-regular basis at 2000 and well beyond, preferably out to 3000+.

Find a venue and lets talk further. My e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks again and God bless!

Oscar

If my plate wasn't full...read overflowing... I would get involved. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to dedicate to securing the real estate and helping run the shoots. I'm all in to just bring my junk and shoot...
Thanks Oscar

URSA 3000 Yard Challenge "update"

So far we have three shooters qualified for the inaugural URSA 3000 Yard Challenge. While the date would "normally" be the third Sunday, in April this year that Sunday will be Easter.So, tentatively, the event will be held the following Sunday, April 23rd.Time is running out for those that want to get qualified prior to the day of the event.

URSA 3000 Yard Challenge "update":

We now have five (5) shooters qualified for the inaugural URSA 3000 Yard Challenge. While the date would "normally" be the third Sunday, in April this year that Sunday will be Easter. So, tentatively, the event will be held the following Sunday, April 23rd. Time is running out for those that want to get qualified prior to the day of the event.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.