The ultimate lenght for a .308

Wiktor

Hi!!

I have standard savage FP 10 in caliber.308 Win.I have chage to a MCM stock and want to reduce some weight in the heavy barrel. I cant find anything about what is the ultimate lenght of this caliber..
I have seen that some "tactical rifle" has a 18"-26" barrels ...
Pleade can anyone explane to me and helt me..??

Many thanks...

Wiktor "a beginner"

It depends on your range and use intended
What bullets are you gonna shoot and at what ranges ?

My rifle is for hunting 300yards and training 600yards. I belive it´s my limited distance to shoot.

The bullets I use is a Nosler BST or BT in 165-168 gr. And for training is a molycoated 168 gr. matchbullets.

Tanks for all helps.

Wiktor

I would suggest 168-178 a-max for your situation. Also, you want the most velocity you can get, so let the barrel as long as you can stand it.

JB

jb100br is right you want your barrel as long as you can stand to get the best velocity out of it but if you feel the need to have a very short tube then a barrel as short as 18" would work , the bullets you have chosen will still be traveling plenty fast enough to be stabil and have enough thump for deer.
I shoot a 15" barreled Encore pistol in 308 , my load is 48grs of Varget and a 150gr Ballistic tip ,I get a velocity of
just under 2700fps with great accuracy
I have loaded some 168gr Bergers up to see what they would do and was able to get just over 2600fps with 47.5grs of Varget but the recoil was stout , but at that speed I believe that the 168gr Berger VLD would stay supersonic well past 600yds.
I have killed deer with the 150gr bullets out to 275yds+/-

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.