The ultimate Idaho weight "smokin fur" rifle

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
The ultimate Idaho weight \"smokin fur\" rifle

338AMW1.JPG

This is Jr's 338 AM that I refered to in an earlier post.
338AMW2.JPG

This is the cockpit view.
338AMW3.JPG

This is the elks view.

Re: The ultimate Idaho weight \"smokin fur\" rifle

Very nice, like the black flutes!! IT really looks like nothing more then a conventional rifle!!!

Sweet!!

Kirby Allen(50)

What's the 4th dial on the scope?

Thanks guys,

The brake is one of mine, I designed it especially for the large AM. The stock is an HS Precision for a 700, but with some serious mods. I had the front action screw hole relocated in the action to match a 700's, this allows me to use Remington bottom metal. Using a solid bottom action and BDL bottom metal leaves a storage space where I leave a set of foam ear plugs, a drop chart, 2 nickels, and a 2032 battery all in a small ziploc bag. This was also the reason it has a recoil lug like a Remington. I wanted to rifle to look fairly main stream for the most part, while it is visually appealing it was designed purely for function. I will be building one exactly like it for myself. The only thing I might do differently is sand blast grey the flutes instead of making them black.

There is something terribly disturbing about the "elks view" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, but the rest is pretty darn sweet.

Chris

BB,

The 2 nickels are for the "coin slots" on the cheekpiece, you may need them in the field to lower and remove the bolt for some reason. I figured that would get someone.

Sweet rifle Shawn. Now if i can talk my dad(Dave Chenault) into buying me one. Next time he calls you tell him to buy one for me!

i'm assuming that the extra slots/baffles, 5 total, in the brake make it more efficient? does that 4th and 5th baffle really reduce any more recoil? sweet looking rig!

Dave,

I changed to many things at once to tell for sure but it works better than the 4 port on my 338 Edge. I do believe that the big difference is the baffle width in the first few ports. That being said the 4th and 5th ports build residue and have a blast pattern just not nearly as much as the first 3.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.