the reason the 110BA hangs with Hornady brass (338LM)

green 788

I have a Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua Magnum...

I got the rifle with a few boxes of the Hornady 285 grain match factory ammo.

I noted right away that sometimes these cases would not extract... the extractor would just jump over the rim... you'd have to punch them out with a Dewey rod from the muzzle... :eek:

Even the reloaded cases would often hang in the rifle.

Someone told me to check the OAL of the Hornady cases... sure enough, some were at 2.730", and others were 2.715".

The ones which hung in the chamber were the 2.730" length...

The Savage chamber is very tight, and it looks like the long Hornady cases are somehow gripping inside the case neck portion of the chamber... I'm not sure exactly how... (haven't thought about it much yet). :)

But suffice it to say that the Hornady cases which are 2.715" (to 2.720" max) don't hang, and the 2.730" ones do.

Lapua cases never hang, by the way...

FWIW...

Dan

Thanks for the explination. Somebody else on one of the other forums was asking about why there Savage misfired and hung up on ejection. Put this thread over in the main forum so others who don't come to this one will see what you found out.

Thanks,
Tank

MAX case length for the 338 Lapua is 2.724, recommended trim length is 2.714.
The reamer print for my 338 IMP shows the END of the chamber at 2.729, so if your cases are 2.730 that MIGHT be the problem.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.