The Perfect Long Rifle

What Caliber

• Total voters
Since this is Long Range Hunting, I will respond with hunting in mind.

To 900 or 1000 yards 300 Win Mag

Beyond that .338 Lapua Mag.

Jeff gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not one reply with any 300 WSM Love besides me?

With the 150 class in the 3400 fps range and the 200 class in the 3000 fps range who could ask for more out of one rifle.

I won't even get started with the 7 WSM...:)

.308 Win... no [SIZE=+1]"explanation"[/SIZE] needed.

For most of the continental US I'd have to agree with this but I voted for the 7mm Rem Mag. Better suited for larger game yet does not need a non-packable rifle weight or muzzle break to shoot. Cheaper to shoot than the really big boomers too.

300 Win Mag....

With all of my love for 6.5s the 300 win mag is hard to argue with. It meets every criteria that one could ask for. From varmints to the biggest game in N. America the 300 win mag has been used. Again, not necessarily Ideal for big bears and such, but capable.

I think you need 3 fine rifles to be the complete rifleman. I know I do. All should have custom built minimum chambers and necks (necks that don't need to be turned). All should have custom actions or at least a Remington trued action. All should have custom fit/bedded McMillan or HS Precision stocks (or equal). All should have heavy bottom metal such as Badger Ordnance or the like. All should have Jewel triggers (or similar). All should have premium optics (Leupold, Nightforce, Swarovski, Ziess).

243 Win or 243AI for varmints
7mm Rem Mag or 7mm RUM for medium sized game
338 Edge (338 RUM) for everything else

These three rifles will take care of everything in North America and most of Africa. A custom rifle can be built cheaper than most people think. Start with any of the fine barrel/action builders in the US. Then send your barreled action to a McMillan or HS precision to have the stock fitted/bedded. They can also inlet and install the bottom metal. Order and install trigger and optics yourself.

Do this and you wont end up with a safe full of factory rifles that wont shoot and you never shoot (like me). Quality rifles like these will be passed down for generations. And if you do shoot thousands of rounds through them, just have them re-barreled and go.

I built a 7mm Rem Mag using the steps prescribed above. I used a Shilen #7 contour barrel, Remington 700 trued action, McMillan Hunter stock, Badger Ordnance bottom metal with 5 shot detachable mag, Jewel trigger, and Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x50 Long Range scope.

It took a year to build. Total cost was under $3000. It shoots 0.5 MOA pushing a 168 grain VLD at 3024 fps. One down, 2 to go! The 243 will be next.

IMG_0518.jpg

5 shot group @ 100 yards
IMG_0053.jpg

Last edited:
My 338 Lapua is perfect for me!

This statement sums up the entire answer for the topic. There is not a single Round or rifle which is best for everyone, but there is one out there that is the best single round and rifle for each individual. We make a choice based on our likes, dislikes, and our given purpose for that rifle. And in that each of us finds the perfect rifle for us as individuals. And this is why I love having all of the choices that are out there.

If I could only have one, it would be my 6.5x284....good balance of weight , power, ballistics, recoil, and amazing accuracy. I don't hunt prarie dogs or big bears. Can compete well in 200/300 yard egg shoots in the off season...great practice and fun.

I'm still pretty sure the .308 Win would get the job done on most Deer and small Elk size animals, out to any reasonable hunting distances an with the shot placed correctly.
"When it's about putting lead; on the dead" These two pipe hitters in .308 Win get the job done. The 175gr Mk {style} bullets still have 625 fpe at 1k traveling just over 1250 fps.... starting it out at 2650 fps. Winds are always a problem, more so for some. .388 Lapua .300gr Mk @2710 fps 20 mph at 90 degrees is about 111" inches off target… I know it could be loaded to do a little better. The .308 Win 175gr @ 2650 fps "and" it can do a little better as well; 20 mph at 90 degrees is about 180" inches off the target; a difference of 69" inches or 17.25 moa... Not that bad for a "light to midrange recoiling rifle"
Yeah... I know it's not a .338 Lapua or a .408 Cheytac; and could never be in that class. But when it comes to long range all around balance in a cartridge and rifle the .308 Win needs little defending, just look at it past record, in everything from pistol to aircraft armament.
Hey guy's; I know other rifles & calibers kill quite well, I myself own many more in a lot of other calibers for the same reason… If I'm heading out for "big" Elk at possible long range... I'll take a big Elk caliber…Elmer would turnover in his grave if I didn't. I've used the .338 Lapua, .408 Cheytac and the .50 BMG…. no way can 95% of the calibers out there compete as long range "killing king" with those calibers... But then, they have their achilles heel to.
Just my thought…
Everyone, have a Great "4th of July"… A lot of good people picked up the bill so we could... And continue to do so to this day…. God bless them.

Attachments

• M1A .308 cal 036.jpg
    M1A .308 cal 036.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 10
  • M1A .308 cal 038.jpg
    M1A .308 cal 038.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 15
  • A.I Stock Tactical M700 .308 cal 002.jpg
    A.I Stock Tactical M700 .308 cal 002.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 13
  • M1A and Tactical M700 .308 cal 010.jpg
    M1A and Tactical M700 .308 cal 010.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 12
7 mag is my choice for the calibwers you have posted; not posted is a sweet shooting Swede in 6.5x55 shooting 140 gr Bergers loaded to 2800 + velocities performs close to 7 mag at 600 yds. The 7mag allows a Berger 140 gr BC .510 to be launced at 3200 fps and make great shots with relatively lower recoil for a relatively light 6.5 # rifle . The average shoooter can place a 7mag accurately on game at long range. The 338's are great, but they take a very good shooter that can handle all the extra recoil and hurricane winds that are driven up during the shot. It takes a beter man than me to just carry one around. That being said one of the best all-time rifles I have successfully shot from a stand at long range with great resuilts was a 340 Weatherby, accurate and deadly; I just couldn't carry it..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.