The Perfect Long Rifle

What Caliber

• Total voters
cf, thanks for your opinion. You certainly bring out some valid points. I like what you said about none are perfect but I think some are suitable in more situations than others. Really a guy needs 2-3 situational rifles and could just about cover it. I think either of our choices could fit into one of those 2-3 a guy needs to own.

For the record two of the last guns I purchased was a Tikka T-3 light in 300 win mag for a lightweight carry rifle this past summer and over Christmas I got a 300 weatherby on clearance at wal-mart. It has been argued for many years by a lot of very knowledgable people that the 300 magnums are the most versatile of all cartridges. With all the bullets out there in .308 it would be hard to argue against it. The longest shot I have ever made on big game was a mule deer at I think was 1340 yards with a 300 wby. I have killed many bears and with the right bullet a 300 does well with any but the huge brownies. Anything else and the 300 makes a mighty good rifle to have.

Last edited:
For where I live the answer is "None of the above". Whitetails pronghorns & coyotes are the main fare here where the ranges are long and the wind ALWAYS blows like crazy. The perfect medicine for those targets is the 260 Remington.

Well.... since you don't have my Barett .416 included..... I'd have to say the .338. But my favorite is my 7mm mag.

I think your on the right track 7 loader. Ultimately it's the bullet that makes or breaks it. This is true on targets, or big game.
About 38% of folks voted .30 caliber, and about 38% voted .338. I suspect that's because they have found a bullet that works for them in the bulk of what they do.
I have a 30-06 lightweight loaded with 200 grain Accubonds for still hunting whitetails. I have a .375 H&H for big stuff up close. My current "do it all rifle" is in .338 RUM. It used to be a .358 AI, but bullets available limited the potential of this rifle.
One should acknowledge their limitations, and since I had my neck welded back together recoil is a bigger issue. If a 200 gr Accubond in .284 was available, a big seven would a get a serious look. Also, if a 220-240gr .30 caliber Accubond was out there I'd certainly give a big .30 more of a look. Experientially match bullets have not been consistent for me on big game.
The other option for managing recoil is adding weight. Once you've done that, it begins to become a very specialized tool. Respects to Shawn Carlock, but look at his site check the gear list, and the picture of the loaded down ATV, you'll see the support system required to achieve his results. Again nothing, but respect for the guys hunting/shooting this way. However, I need a rifle that I don't have to leave behind extra socks, or boots to make a bush planes weight limits. It will also have to fit a saddle scabbard (a 26" barrel length is longest I've seen commercially made. I had mine made to hold 26 plus a brake), and not cripple the horse carrying it (I've seen both done).
Let's all hope, pray, and vote we never see the day we can have just one rifle.

Not to shabby for a 7MAG I have one that is in need of another barrel when I first had it built it was a lazer.. any place I aimed it would hit.
400 yards were no problem, but I never shot a Deer over 300 for fear of having a bad hit.
I knew I could kill a Deer at that range but I would let it pass.
I shot the hell out of the deer back in 1980 we went to a farm an old friends grand father owned. This was in Arkansas he pleaded with us to kill any Hog we saw and othere farmers felt the same way. we were hunting on a bunch of land I shot about 17 Deer in the two weeks..we had CBs and there was a kid about 10 driving an old Jeep with a trailer and they would bring them back to the farm..These old men had some honest to goodnes Panther ****. some body had a still and they made some wild water,,,,, not for me.
ALL the meat went to the area homes that could eat it.

My vote is a 7MAG...

I picked the 300 Win mag because it has good killing power and accuracy and is widely available for people to shot whether they reload or not.
robster

Well the 30-06 has taken a lot of matches and game animals over many years. So that is what I have and will go with it. As it has taken small to the bigest game animals. And is afordable for any hunter to own and shoot. Short range to 1000yds or anything in between.gun)

My vote goes for the .338 Lapua. If it is good enough for US military snipers, it is good enough for me.

The one that 'sends' it where ya' tell it to, every time!

There is probably the answer least subject to disagreement. there are a lot of cartridges capable of putting any intended game down at any range (within reason) but if you cannot hit it you will never be happy with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts