The Old Man Can Still Shoot Straight

Joel Russo

Stole a few hours from the man yeasterday, and took my dad and friend out varmint hunting.

I've been trying to get my dad in the 1,000 yard club since he took up long range shooting a few years ago.

He's 84 years old, and finally came to the realization that his body will not allow him to chase critters on the mountain with me anymore. I think he enjoys varmint hunting more now than he ever did.

It was not a real productive day, as most of the local fields were not cut. We did manage to get him an 820 yard kill.

Since losing my hunting partner last year, I never take for granted the special times my dad and I spend together in the filed. I am truly greatful for the opportunity.

Attachments

• glenny.jpg
    glenny.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 156
  • glen2.jpg
    glen2.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 161
  • dad4.jpg
    dad4.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 150
  • dad2.jpg
    dad2.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 149
Joel,

Very nice! Time spent with our loved ones enjoying an activity both of you enjoy is a piece of heaven on earth. Good story and thanks for the reminder to enjoy fathers this weekend. Happy Father's day to all and spend time with them while you have them. God Bless

Awesome! I'd love to find some spots local to the Lancaster area to do some shooting like this. I'd need some instruction as I've never shot beyond 500.

You should have a ton of farms in your area that would allow 500 yards plus...Start knocking on some doors, get permission, and I'll be happy to give you some instruction.

You should have a ton of farms in your area that would allow 500 yards plus...Start knocking on some doors, get permission, and I'll be happy to give you some instruction.

I started using Google Maps with satellite to find places that looked promising for archery. I do need to do some knocking.

Awesome shooting by your father. Nice pics of the country too.

BTW, tell me more about the rifle set ups you guys use.

Thanks.

BTW, tell me more about the rifle set ups you guys use.

Thanks.

The rifles you see in the pictures are both 7mm's. One is a wildcat based off the .300 Wby, and the other is a 7 RUM. The one in the bench stock is the 7 RUM. At 84 years old, my father has difficulty shooting prone.. I found the best way for him to be successful in shooting this far, is to have him shoot from a portable bench. I've since replaced the NSX on the 7 RUM with a Schmidt & Bender. It's much easier on his eyes when the old groundhogs want to play "jack in the box".

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.