The new Oehler 35p is on its way

Re: My new Oehler 35P is on its way

2"+ AR steel plate? You must be one stout fella. I don't think I want to shoulder fire any of your "really big stuff"... :D

My .280 RCBS Improved didn't even leave a perceptible dent in the 1/2" AR500 steel plate at 1000 yds. Took the paint off and that was it! A .284 162 gr Amax if I recall correctly.

I'm too worried about the one-in-a-million error of hitting steel plate that close to my face to use a steel skyscreen protector for collection of MVs. And with plywood, any hit might expand the bullet and take out all downstream skyscreens anyhow. I've thought about the use of some stiff cardboard, but I've not yet experienced muzzle blast caused problems with my skyscreens when set out there at a distance of 15 feet from the muzzle.

2'' plate was just a joke because I dont know how thick the plate would have to be to stop
the bigger bullets (400 grains to 800 grains) with 6000 to 13000 ft/lbs energy or what setup
could stand being hit and not being knocked from zip code to zip code.

My plan was to place it behind a berm with just the sky screen window showing so a miss
would be absorbed or behind a steel gong that was hung or angled to deflect the bullet
downward away from the screens.

J E CUSTOM

PS; I have the new Oehler In hand (Looks great)!!!

Re: My new Oehler 35P is on its way

2'' plate was just a joke because I dont know how thick the plate would have to be to stop
the bigger bullets (400 grains to 800 grains) with 6000 to 13000 ft/lbs energy or what setup
could stand being hit and not being knocked from zip code to zip code.
J E CUSTOM

PS; I have the new Oehler In hand (Looks great)!!!

Ah-hah! Pulled a fast one on me eh?

My Oeher is in-route. Received a tracking confirmation number from the Oehler folk.

Glad yours is in-hand and lookin' good.

Got the 35P. I built a new skyscreen rail in order to mount 7 skyscreens on it. 3 for the 35P, 2 for the Oeher 33, and 2 for the PACT. 6' separation for the two Oehler units. 4' 8" separation for the PACT skyscreens. I shot for the first time last evening. Everything worked as expected, except the Proof channel on the 35P, and that was my fault. If all else fails - read the instructions... :D

Turns out I plugged the skyscreen jacks in the computer in the wrong order and as a result, the Proof channel wasn't recognized by the 35P computer. Talked to Oehler today and they were very helpful and friendly in getting me straightened out.

I'll post a few pictures of this new rail in about a week, in case anyone else has the interest and the motivation. Looks like a Christmas tree with all the skyscreens. Pretty slick. I built it with some protection for the skyscreens in case it tips over, or simply to protect the skyscreens from the lumps and bumps of transport. The 1/8" aluminum shields also act as a muzzle blast protector for the skyscreens, although I didn't add these shields specifically for that purpose. Materials cost in Alaska was about $35.00. That would mean about $18 in the 48 states. Then my time welding the aluminum pieces together with the Miller Spool-O-Matic. Lastly, some dull red primer spray paint to deaden any sunlight reflections from the rail onto the undersides of the bullets passing overhead. Turned out slick. A pretty significant improvement over what I'd cobbled together the first time around several years ago.

Every bullet passing over this rail will provide me with 4 independent chronograph velocities. I've suspected all along that the folks that pooh-pooh chronograph data have been using tinker toys for chronographs. I'll find out with high assurance after running some bullets over this setup. I'm gonna cry if I take out all 7 skyscreens with a bullet!!!

Headed out hunting, or I'd post some Pics sooner. But I'll be 'on the road again'... Skunked the first time around. Except for about 7 ground squirrels.

Just rec'd my new 35P from Oehler this past Friday. All in tack and ready for me to put to some good use.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.