The Negative Side of getting a 270 AM

royinidaho

Her: What's that white stuff in your cases

Him: Toilet Paper

Her: What's it for?

Him: To hold the corn meal in.

Her: (Silly grin on face) Now, even I know you don't shoot corn meal in a gun. You use ammunition..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Him: There's 20 grains of Unique under the corn meal.

Her: What's Unique.
Hey, is that my good cookie sheet that you used.

Him: (Looking the other way) No!

And on and on.

Should have done this out in the mountains as buffalobob did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Can't wait....now I know what I am in for. I might have to take the wall tent and make a trip to the hills for a couple of days. Any pics of the rifle?

Just remember there's gonna be a whole lot of things to list on the positive side of having a 270 AM so I think the positives will outweigh the negatives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although the bad thing is that one negative with the wife will be equal to several positives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Very important tip that I forgot to mention to you Roy, do not use the wifes cooking sheets or load in the kitchen or anywhere around your wife for that matter!!! They already think we are crazy, why prove it to them!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife thinks I am a nut when I wawlk out on the deck and touch off five rounds of fireforming loads. The first time I think she was about ready to call the cops on me thinking I was throwing bullets into her lawn!!!

Now she just thinks I am a little off! She knows me pretty well!

Keep us posted as to how that old Rem shoots.

Kirby Allen(50)

Remember to clean the barrel afterwards. That is a whole lot of powder that has to be scrubbed out of there and it is not too very clean burning. The barrel will also get warm and needs to be kept cool. I lost two cases out of a hundred from split necks which is not too bad considering the amount of reduction the necks went through.

Here's another negative to a Kirby gun. They are pieces of art. Do you really want to drag your best art in the dirt, risk dropping them, banging them on the brush, getting blood all over them?

When it's hunten season. HE!! yes. But when I'm out rock busten, hiking, scouting, etc - I often take my Kirby modified factory rods.

P.S.

Take a flashlight and look into each case. If the chamber gets hot it will heat the brass and the cornmeal will "melt" into the shoulder on the bottom part of the case. A bent peice of wire can be used to scrape it out. Otherwise the cornmeal will cause a reduction in case capacity.

What about just using a reduced load with the lightest bullet in the caliber?

B1G_BORE,

When fireforming with bullets you need a certain amount of pressure to form the case properly. Most cartridge brass will deform at around 50,000 psi at the case shoulder.

So to get this with a bullet you still need a decent load and your still burning 90 grains of powder and spending money on the bullets.

For ecinomic and barrel life reasons, I recommend fireforming with corn meal once the barrel is broken in. For my Allen Magnums they have a limited barrel life anyway so why waste it forming cases when you do not have to.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
For my Allen Magnums they have a limited barrel life anyway so why waste it forming cases when you do not have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what a glorious life, even if it is short!!!

Another alternative is that your fireform loads just happen to shoot **** good, so you can use them for hunting as well.
P1010014.jpg

I guess the biggest negative is decinding on just which load to actually use.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts