The lady bagged the ultimate predator

dogdinger

Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single
this is the story from colo sprgs....kudos to jeane assam

COLORADO SPRINGS – One of the men injured in the fatal shootings at New Life Church told the security guard who shot the gunman to shoot him again in the head to make sure he was dead.

Larry Boubonnais was hit in the arm when 24-year-old Matthew Murray opened fire in the parking lot of the church on Sunday. The security guard at the church, Jeanne Assam, then shot and killed Murray.

Two teenage girls from the same family, 18-year-old Stephanie Works and 16-year-old Rachael Works, died after Murray shot them. The girls' father, 51-year-old David Works is hospitalized with two gunshot wounds to the abdomen and groin area, and is listed in fair condition. (Click here to read more about the girls.)

Murray also wounded 40-year-old Judy Purcell. She was treated for a gunshot wound to her right shoulder.

Boubonnais says he was in the cafeteria when the gunfire started.

"He (Murray) had shot a couple out in the parking lot and by the time I got there, he had entered the two doors on the northeast side," said Boubonnais. "I kept saying to the security guard, 'Give me your handgun, I'm going to take him out."

Boubonnais says Murray was dressed in all black with combat boots and he had an assault rifle. Boubonnais says Murray reminded him of a SWAT officer.

"I jumped out, got his attention and called him a name. And then he just looked at me and then he started to shoot me and so when I realized that, I jumped back," said Boubonnais, "and all I got were two pellets in my arm so I thought, 'Well, I'll jump out again' and then I noticed the lady to my right. He shot a few times. She shot a few."

"She (Assam) was yelling, I recall, 'Surrender.' I didn't want to get in her way. I was unarmed, so I ran kind of up and parallel because I couldn't see," said Boubonnais. "She fired off 10 or 12 shots and we both came around the corner and he started sliding down and he started bleeding. He looked pretty dead. I told her to take a headshot and she said, 'No, I think he's dead.' I took a handgun out of his hand because I was unarmed. I cleared it. It had jammed, I remember that."

"I told her that's the bravest thing I've ever seen and she said, 'I was just praying. It was the Holy Spirit to help me do this right.' That was pretty powerful stuff, very, very brave," he said.

Reverend Brady Boyd says New Life Church will be closed on Monday for repairs but is expected to reopen on Tuesday.

"I'm asking Colorado Springs and the country to please pray for that family this morning because they're going through a very difficult time," said Boyd, the senior pastor at New Life Church.

The pastor says that because of the actions of the armed security guard "hundreds of lives were saved" and he acknowledged that it could have been much worse.

"Our biggest concern this morning is not the building," said Boyd. "It's the family that lost two teenage daughters."

(Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.)

As a local I am sorry to see this stuff happen, but for ONCE America has killed an enemy. Just think if this had happened too in one of the mall killings recently. An armed populace is a force to be reckoned with. Now get out here and get that CCW.

Last edited:
Re: Ccw

in response to that statement let me say that i am licensed to carry concealed and do so everywhere i go.....and i mean EVERYWHERE....the problem with this is that i regularly commit a felony by doing so. the colo statute says that if you carry your firearm into certain places (such as any place that serves alcohol, post office, schools, gov buildings..etc etc..)you are commiting a felony. most of these places are the VERY places that you need to be carrying. i have advised both my sons, who have recently turned 21 and wanted to be licensed to carry, that if i had to do it again, i would not.Carrying a concealed weapon (without CCW)in this state is a misdemeanor, much the same as a traffic ticket. when my CCW expires, i will not be renewing, unless the laws are changed.

dogdinger,

Carrying without a license is a misdemeanor, but carrying with a license into those places is a felony?

Isn't carrying without a license into those places ALSO a felony?

I also carry, but I don't carry into schools. I don't go in bars, so that one is easy. Government buildings are a hit/miss deal. Some, like Courts, have metal detectors. Fortunately, I make sure I have to go there very seldom.

Bill

Hi,

In response to the original post.

What our news media really needs to learn is to quit making "heros" of these kids. The kid that did the mall shootings said something to the effect that he would no longer be a problem to his family, and he would be "famous". And do to the news media, HE IS.

We, as a country, need to stop glamorizing these idiots.

All that needs to happen is to quit publishing their names, photos, and history. Without the "fame", there wouldn't be copycats.

I'm not saying it would stop all of it, but it would probabily drop by 80-90%.

Colorado law

A place to start with everything you wanted know about carrying a weapon in Colorado. I'll let you work you way through the statutes. It's not hard once you get used to it. Of course I had a quarter century of practice.:D

LexisNexis(TM)

Mine is good almost anywhere but that is because of the 2004 Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act and any retirees out there that don't have one go get it. Once in a while the feds get it right.

Addendum to my previous post.

OK, OK, only publish their names, photos, and history, IF, they shoot lawyers and people in politics.

(hee, hee)

This would protect the innocent subjects.....I mean citizens.....in our churchs, malls, and schools.

Last edited:
This is a very good reason (and one I promote) for every able bodied person to spend a few hrs a week to go through reserve police school or post or what ever , I see no reason why their arn't alot more people who are commisioned officers.

Having a commision gives you the right to carry in EVERY state not just a very few that reconize each others CCW , god forbid that you have to shoot sombody you will get differant treatment (for the better) than the average guy that just went out and got a CCW on his own.

Yea I know that most Sheriff dept.s require that you work 12-24 hrs a month but that is a very good way to get to know your area better and get a better respect for what full time officers go through.

I carry just about everywhere I go and my commision and badge is just as easy to get to as my gun and in the even that I have to go into a place that frowns on weapons I just clip my badge on my belt.

I have a daughter and two granddaughters who live within a couple blocks of the mall in Omaha, they they go there all the time. Had the gunman picked a
different day,well I try not to think about that too much.Anyway they had a call in radio show where some one expressed the opinion that someone with a ccw and a pistol might have saved lives, a comment which jammed their board with protesters saying that the last thing they needed was another person with a gun which was likely to cause more innocent lives lost!

I am reminded of a line from an old western, the bad guy said"If they were'nt meant to be shorn God wouldn't have made them sheep".

I agree with wyojeeper, the people who commit these crimes should never have their names uttered again. Throw their carcass into an unmarked grave and try to be better prepared next time. For almost a hundred years very few people new the name of the man who killed Wild Bill Hickok. It was agreed by the newspapermen of the day that Jack McCall should not receive any recognition for what he had done. Seems like an excellent idea to me.

PS. I renewed my ccw last week. I am not the only one with precious kid's.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.