The Ground Hog Gang

Kevin Cram

Tonight JUDD, John, and my son Kaleb were out on a ground hog mission. I had just finished up JUDD's new 6mm - .284 this morning and he was excited to put some rounds down the barrel. We decided we could break the barrel in while doing some hunting. We never even fired this gun at 100 yards, just laser bore sighted. The first shot was at 555 yards at a rock and also through the chronograph. We cleaned the barrel and fired another round. Now we had a velocity and were dialed in for 555 yards. I input all the information into ex-bal for the known yardage and velocity and decided we would try the next shot on a live target. First up was a hog at 743 yards. I input the target engagement and a 4 mph wind into ex-bal and one shot, BANG - FLOP. 3rd round out of the rifle with no load development and a 743 yard kill on camera. We cleaned the gun and the next hog was 712 yards. Same thing , BANG - FLOP. Ex-bal is dead on!! I'll have the video up later on when my disc is full but for now here is our ground hog gang, JUDD's new toy and its first 2 victims.

TheGroundhogGang4-16-09-1.jpg

We haven't even hunted the farm we will have the ground hog hunt at yet this year. There should be plenty to shoot at as long as we don't get bumped from our normal spot again this year. The load was 50g of Retumbo, CCI BR2 primer, Lapua Brass, topped with a 115g Berger seated at the lands. The velocity wasn't what we wanted 2750 out of a 31" barrel so I'm sure we will be working on that.

I literally just bought exbal due to reading this post! Now I just have to wait for it to get here. First time I ever bought software too.

i gotta say the pic does this rifle no justice at all compared to actually seeing it...kevin ur work is second to none and joel your stocks are also top notch..thanks for everything fellas! see u at the festival i got some load work to do...lol

Woah! Almost missed this thread. Was out in Ohio shooting with a few members on here. I'll post a few pictures in a day or so.

Kevin, it didn't take you long to put that rifle together! That stock looks nice with a few coats of clear splashed on it. Mavbe I can twist Judd's arm into shooting that fine piece. :D

Ernie, If you force me to, I'll dig out my left hand pattern.:)

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

The stock turnd out great, Thanks again for another quality piece. I'm sure JUDD wil be more than happy to let you pull the trigger a few times. It's like shooting a 22 Rimfire.

Well here is how she shot! I think I found the sweet spot for the Berger VLD's right around 2985fps. I loaded up 5 rounds with Retumbo 51.5 grains seated the VLD's at the lands with federal mag primers lapua prepped brass. Shot thru the chrono and got a 5fps spread. Here is the group pic
group1.jpg

Retumbo generally is not the powder of choice for that case, but who am I to argue with those results???

Stretch her legs and see what that load looks like at 300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.