The great 6.5's

Rocky.....I agree 100% on the performance of the Swift. The problem I've had with them is accuracy in my rifles. In bullet tests I've performed, they are as good all around as anything out there....Rich

I have watched my boy shoot 3 cows in the last 3 yrs using the 130 scirroccos and am amazed every time at how well they kill.

Steve

That's good to know. I have often wondered if the BC listed was a bit optimistic. Has anyone checked that by range shooting?

My son's rifle is not set up to dial range, so all that I have done is hold over out to 1000 yrds just for fun. I was able to hit the target but have no idea how accurate the drops were. We will have to check it more carefully this summer. He is getting old enough to shoot longer distances now. We will have to come up with a scope that we can dial.

Steve

Have a look at the 6.5 creedmoor i have been impressed with mine i get 2850fps with 140 bergers 27" barrel,i recentley had it at 2919 fps with excellent accuracy very slight ejector mark no sticky bolt, primer pockets did not like it much though!

One More vote for the 260 AI..... I recently built one from a savage 12 varmint rifle for my old man, based on the article about this rifle. Terry's Tactical Two-Sixty AI

pretty practical advice, and swayed me from the 6.5-284 i had been lusting for. My experience (so far) mirrors the article from a performance perspective even though my smith throated the rifle short for the 130 gr stuff.

2780fps 140gr sst using a medium warm fire-forming load of h4831sc, and good accuracy. as soon as the old man gets off his duffer n shoots up those loads,we can move on to the performance loads, but i expect to hit 6.5-284 numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.