The 'gods' at the Alaska Fish & Game were good to me this year!

Discussion in 'Sheep Hunting' started by Michael Eichele, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Well the 'gods' here were good to me by drawing my name for a dall sheep tag. We can get sheep tags over the counter but like other states, the draw tags are typically better.

I use to hunt an area in the Chugach Mountains before it went to a drawing only. It was an awesome area. Lots of rams, nice rams, big rams, good scenery, close to home, etc....I took a couple rams out of the area and vowed to hold out for a real monster. After 4 years, they decided to go drawing so the year before it went to draw, I decided to shoot the first legal ram I saw since I knew it would be the last time I would be able to hunt the area. I shot a nice ram on opening day of 07. In 08, as luck would have it, I drew a tag for my area in the first year! There were only 5 permits and I never saw a single soul other than game. I shot my first double broomed ram late in the hunt. I thought wow! these tags are easy to draw. Then the stats came out the next year and the odds were less than 3% YIKES!! Boy did I get lucky?!! Well last year the odds were less than 4% and I drew it this year again! The only difference is that it is a later hunt than the one I had. I applied for the 2nd hunt as their fur is nicer and the real boss hogs come down lower. It's also a longer hunt. Anyway you slice it, there are some gorgeous rams in this area.

To top it all off, my hunting buddy Charlie drew the same tag I had in 08 and the same area I have this year only the first hunt. In 08, he drew the late hunt in an adjoining area as to the area I had. What are the freaking odds?!!!

Boy I CANNOT wait to back in the Chugach Mountains!!!

2. grit

grit Well-Known Member

That should keep you warm all winter! Congrats!

3. shortpants

shortpants Well-Known Member

Very nice Michael!!! What's a Dall Sheep?:D Better yet what does it mean to be lucky? I wish I could relate to this fairy tale! Let us know how it goes!

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

have ya been thinkin' of a lottery ticket????:D

5. T3-OleMan

T3-OleMan Well-Known Member

Congrats. Love it when a plan comes together! :D

6. Capstick

Capstick Well-Known Member

Very nice!

7. Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Congrats. another year of making my annual donation to the state.

Gus