The Contender in 30-30AI strikes again.

RT2506

I took this 8 pt buck with my MGM Shillen barrel T/C Contender 30-30AI in east NC last week. Shot was 90 yards in a logging path between to cut overs. 125 Nosler ballistic tip pushed with 33 grs IMR 4198, WW case and Wolf LR primer average 2670 fps. Placed the bullet in the right shoulder as he quartered toward me. He jumped about 6' in the air and did a little break dance came down and nose plowed 25 yards and crashed dead. Bullet exited middle of off side ribcage and wiped out every thing in between.

Attachments

• 2013 deer 007.jpg
    2013 deer 007.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 222
excellent!
I used to hunt with a contender 14" 3030win, 150 grn nosler partition 30 grn IMR3031 & strd primer. Took a few deer and a antelope with it. A very accurate gun for sure.

Congrats!!! I've always wanted a T/C contender just haven't com across the deal I need to buy one. I'd say you've got a keeper for sure.

Yes with the 30-30AI with a 14" barrel when you can equal or better the velocity with all bullet weights that you get with a 20" 30-30 Win rifle really says something. Plus the cases for the 30-30AI are lasting me forever. I have 10 firings on some and they have never needed trimming. They just don't grow. This MGM Shilen barrel is just crazy accurate also. I have lost count of how many deer I have killed with it in the past 4 years 15+ and I did not kill any with it in 2012. All have been one shot kills and all but three dropped in their tracks. Those three did not go more than 30 yards. I use the 125 ballistic tip in all my 30 cal. Just keep impact velocity under 3000 fps and it kills deer right now.

RT, nice shooting!! I have a contender carbine with a 16 1/4" barrel in a 30/30 and have considered having it cleaned out to a30/30 AI. SKS will do it for $95, I talked to J.D. Jones and he said case life was poor that was why I did not do it. I have been shooting 130 Hornady in mine, but can do no better than 2350fps. Have not tried 4198 though. If your getting 10 firings that sounds like plenty of life, what brand of brass?? Thanks for the post, now I'll have another project to do.

I am using Winchester cases. Start out with NEW cases or fire factory 30-30 ammo to fire form your cases. I tried some cases that had been fired in a 30-30 rifle and some split at the necks during fire forming and the rest did not last long. My MGM barrel has a nice and tight chamber. I believe that is the key to the long case life. JD just probably wants you to go his 309 JDJ.

He was steering me towards his 309, but I didn't want the additional cost or headaches in brass forming. I have two other Ackley chamberings and like the ease of forming brass. I may have some questions as this project gets going. Thanks!!

I would be glad to help you in anyway I can. One tidbit is that Lee makes a GOOD set of dies for the 30-30AI that don't cost an arm and a leg. That is what helped me make the decision to go with the 30-30AI. I was leaning hard toward the 6.5-30AI but found that the dies cost almost half what the barrel was going to cost. Saw the Lee 30-30AI dies and the rest is history. I think I made a good decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.