The Breakfast of Shooters

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by MT4XFore, Nov 13, 2010.

1. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

I have a farmer/rancher friend who has been known to have a few deer on his place. So I decided I would go out this morning for Breakfast. As I was driving down the two track ranch road to get to my hunting spot, I spied a suspicious looking brown mass at the end of the field on my right. I grabbed my binos and looked, there on the menu was a nice looking mulie buck! He meandered down and out of sight to my left. I sat there a while watching to see if he would come out again. I saw him cross the two track directly in front of me about 300 yds away. I crept forward just a little keeping a sharp eye out to try and catch which way he was going to go. Suddenly, not to my surprise really, a doe crossed the two track across the gully ahead of me. Then another, doe, then another and by the time the fourth doe crossed I was out of the truck and on my sticks anticipating what I was SURE was to follow.
    Yep, sure enough there he came. He was moving a bit quicker than I like trying to keep up with his women , so I waited just a little , then at 245 yds he paused. It was just long enough for a 160 gr. Accubond traveling at 3100 fps to end his courting days! Here he is:

[​IMG]

Another view with my APS/Browning 7mm Rem Mag:

[​IMG]

When I went over to him, off to the left was a herd of about 100 more mulies. I quickly glanced at them through my binos but decided not to look too hard just so I couldn't get "shooter's remorse" if there was a bigger one there.

After I had dressed and loaded my main course, I proceeded to whack a dozen prairie dogs for desert!! That's the kind of breakfast I like, The "Breakfast of Shooters!"

Hope you all enjoyed as much as I did!

Jim

2. Good

Good Well-Known Member

Sweet mulie! Congrats.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Very nice. He'll look good on the plate!

I like the gun 'rack'.

4. chase

chase Active Member

What a day,congrats.

5. HUAINAMACHERO

HUAINAMACHERO Well-Known Member

Very nice buck!!!
    Enjoyed your story.
    You have good tricks to arrange a buck for photos, I just learned something today.:)

6. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Breakfast of champions, congrats!

7. flyin lizard

flyin lizard Well-Known Member

Nice buck ,great story and the smile on the deer is classic..

8. ROBSTER

ROBSTER Well-Known Member

Nice buck and nice shooting
    robster

9. nfhjr62

nfhjr62 Well-Known Member

Look's like he had the BREAKFAST of CHAMPIONS, i don't think we get whitetail deer that BIG here in Pa.

10. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

Definitely worthy of, "Congratulations!!". I would like to start a few days that way!

What are the gun specs?

11. MT4XFore

Thanks, y'all!

Buano, The gun is a Browning A-Bolt that has been massaged by APS. It was trued up, has a Lilja 1-9 barrel with a small Painkiller brake, a Lone Wolf Howler stock and a Rifle Basix trigger spring. Shoots very well, as all of Kirby's creations do. Thanks for asking.

Jim

12. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

The reason I asked is that I have a first generation (first year) A-Bolt in 7 mag also. I ordered mine a year BEFORE they shipped from the factory. I always liked the gun but was never quite satisfied with the accuracy. I would be reluctant to add a brake unless it was removable (or closable like the Savage version). I would like to improve the accuracy. It always "felt" like it should be a tack driver. What did you spend getting yours reworked?

13. MT4XFore

Buano,

I dont know just how much I've spent. The two things that would help the most are probably the two least expensive: the trigger spring and a new stock. The tupperware stock that came on the original A-Bolts was a piece of crap(excuse my french). Mine was one of the first ones too.

Jim