The best long distance .25 bullet.

I'm shooting berger 115gr out of my .25-06 with great results. Also Richard Grave (wildcat bullets) makes some great bullets as well. I haven't used his but many on here have.

I'm shooting berger 115gr out of my .25-06 with great results. Also Richard Grave (wildcat bullets) makes some great bullets as well. I haven't used his but many on here have.

Have you used them on any game? I was thinking about tring some. How close do you have your to the lands?

Thanks

Supposedly, Berger bullets is to release two new bullets later this year..Both are 125 grain, one a VLD the other a match grade boattail.

If it comes true, I will probably have my throat lenghtened on my 25-06 A.I. to accomidate these new long range bullets.

Right now my 25-06 A.I is serving as a long range varmint hunting rifle. But I am building a new rifle for long range varmints in 6 Dasher.

So the 25-06 will become a long range deer rifle.

i used the 115 berger VLD on whitetail this past season and it was fanominal she dropped like a stone at 103yrds. i use it just touching the lands in a Kimber Montana.

Berger VLD 115gr
56.5grs Rotumbo
Federal 210primer
Winchester brass

this is the load that works for this rifle. but work up carefully. my Sendero would show pressure signs at around 53grs of powder.

I would vote for either the 115g NBT or the 125g Wildcat ULD RBBT from Richard Graves.

I would tend to shy away from the Bergers for deer size game out of a .257". There giving very erratic terminal performance from my 7 RM. Have used both the 168g and 180g with less then satisfactory results more times then not. Sometimes they expand, sometimes they dont...

With that said, I've used my 25-06 for everything from squirrels to black bears and have taken deer to right at 600, 3 black bears from 375-450, antelope at 550, and many coyotes from 50-500 yards all with the 115g NBT at 3200fps. With a BC of around .450 it flies true, hits hard, and just kills whatever it hits. I"ve never had a problem with them not exiting, EVER. Most of the animals went nowhere but straight down with shoulder shots.

I have limited experience with the 125g ULD, however I shot my biggest whitetail ever, a 145" mainframe 4x4 at 440 yards with 1 bad placed shot. I was in such a rush I forgot to dope the wind and hit him in the flank. I ended up having to track him and luckily found him in the thickest crap you could think of. A finishing shot was required. I believe if I would have done a better job on shot placement, the whitetail would have went straight down.

I'd say it depends alot on what you will shoot w/ them.

The berger 'should' do well w/a -straight through the shoulder shot on deer size game.

My 25-06 didn't shoot the 115gr nbt's too well but loves the 100's .
A big plastic tip bullet at longrange makes a great killer ,just don't shoot a deer right on the shouder inside of 200yds.

I'm going to call over to Hornady and have them make us some 125gr Amax bullets up w/a .650 bc --i'll be right back !!!!

6mm Dasher ---gitter done.........

I have killed as well as seen a lot of deer killed with a 25-06 and have come to the conclusion that it really does not matter who makes the bullet as long as it weighs 100 grs to 120 grs. if you put that bullet into a front shoulder of a deer from pointblank to over 500 yards 99.9% of the time they drop right in their tracks. The 25-06 is the deer killing-est round I have ever seen. I really like the 117 gr Sierra bullet best.

Last season I was jinxed with a less then stellar year as a elk hunting guide, only 5 bulls and 2 cows. So with limited days to hunt I shot a cow elk rather then a dink bull. As an expirement I used a 110 grain accubond from my 25-06. At 350 yards I shot all of the way through her chest. She was dead in less the 30 seconds and went 40 or so yards. This was really impressive. I have witnessed way worse terminal performance with "elk rifles" that were used with poorly built bullets.
Two years ago I shot an antelope with this rifle at 500 yards she just dropped, but at 550 yards another took a few awkward paniced looking steps. Fearing a pass through shot I decided to use my second doe tag. She went 20-30 yards and that was the end. It ended up that she had a mildly injured foot from who knows what in the past.
I am sure that these bullets are not close to what is availiable for high ballistic coeficient but they shoot great. On coyotes there is not a lot of sewing, usually.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.