The 7mm rhb. Fast fast fast!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by goodgrouper, Apr 12, 2006.

1. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

I got to fire some magic downrange today. Shot the famous 7mm rhb wildcat and was impressed at the speed this puppy gets. The oehler 35 said it was flinging 140 grain bullets downrange at 3595 fps from a 27" barrel using about 85 grains of RL22! And not so much as an ejector mark! Mild, mild, mild. Try and tell me that good case design makes no difference. Here's two cats that say otherwise!

This case is based off a 300 ultra that has been shortened quite a bit. The shoulder is actually shorter than the 338 ultra which in itself is shorter than the 300 ultra.

Here's the 338 thunder next to the 7mmrhb:
    [​IMG]

And here is the rifle topped with a Leupold LPS crystal clear scope: [​IMG]

2. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

G.G. nice pics. I think I've seen that gun before!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

80grs RL22 w/140 AB or NBT = 3600fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif First time it's been fired in three years. (I was supposed to be cleaning it for the owner but I couldn't resist sneaking it to the range) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did clean it after I got home. (Honestly) ----RHB

3. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, 80 grains! Even better.

So how many patches did it take to come clean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

G.G. It took two wet Coppermelt patches .One dry. I'm going to miss this stuff when my stash runs out !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good goat-groper to me!

Any chance to get some more info on the specifics of the 7RHB?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

"I'm going to miss this stuff when my stash runs out !!!"
    Has production of coppermelt stopped?

7. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a good goat-groper to me!

[/ QUOTE ] Goat-groper????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

GG, this is interesting! We are looking at a 7STW for one of my boys. I have not warmed-up to the 7RUM because it seems that you need a 28" or longer barrel & fast twist for the heavier bullets to make a real gain over the STW, correct me if I am wrong about that!
    This appears to be a logical alternative, one that would be at least a little faster than the STW with a 27" barrel & a great match for the 140 or 160AB & with a non-belted/better case design. Is that what you are saying?

9. mikael

mikael Active Member

what are the difference between 7mm ultra mag and 7mm rhb you have pretty fast velocity in your 7mm rhb.

10. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

89, the case is 2.555 in length, .015 total taper w/35* shoulder. Case cap. is 94grs of water at the base of the neck.A little less than an STW (2grs I think)
    Easy method for brass is 300 Dakota brass necked to 7mm then improved to 40*. It will be similar in capacity.

Rem. action ,Shillen XXX #4 contour
    match barrel w/1 in 11" twist, Shillen Trigger, Tubbs speedlock firing pin assembly, Zero laminated stock, KG coated barreled action.
    RHB

11. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

Harv, it's looking that way right now. we've lost contact with Gary Hunter, the inventor of this product. Hope we hear good news from him soon ---RHB

12. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

Roy I was thinking more along the lines of goat AUGER!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

---RHB

13. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

Mikael, The case is .300 shorter than the 7mm RUM, using about 15grs less powder. Seems to be very efficient configuration.---RHB

14. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

Nomo, You are correct. The short fat case design seems to make the difference but is a pain to do. The STW will work great for your son with alot less work.

---RHB