The 300 Win Mag long shot

jro45

I've heard that with an 1 1/2" raise at 100 yds the 300 Win Mag can go 400 yds. And it did on this hunting show I was watching. Shooting at a down hill angle.
Say at 3100 FPS with a 180 gr bullet with high B.C. What do you think possible or not?

Pretty much not realistic unless the horizontal surface being covered was only about 250 yds.....in other words if the animal was 150yds below and out about 250 yds then maybe. There are charts that give this info but I don't have them at my fingertips.
In the "real world" for a flat horizontal shot of 400 yds you'd be down about 14".

Horizontal it was 200 yds. Even at that would not the bullet still travel 400 yds?
Or is the horizonal distance the only one that matters? If the yds is only 200 why the 1.5 raise at 100. My 300 shoots flat to 200 yds. Maybe .4 drop.

Like I say...there are charts that will tell you more about this and you might find them doing a google search. It's hard to imagine but the horizontal distance is very much the big factor.....otherwise that bullet would have dropped 14".

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.