The 300 RUM Improved vs the 338 version

Digger49r

I hate to beat a subject to death but here goes anyhow.I'm shooting the 300 RUM now (rem sendero sf) and am planning on going to a wildcat version over the winter.I can't seem to make up my mind if I should step up to the 338 version or stay with the 300. The lightest bullet I shoot now is a 200gr MK.My main bullet is the 220gr MK and I'm been averaging a hair over 3k fps.It's safe to say that if I went 338 my choice would be the 250gr and the 300 gr MK.So all things being equal I should be in the same weight vs caliber class for both versions. Here's where the questions start:
1)Since both versions use the same case (I'd neck the 300 case up since it's a tad longer) does the 338cal-300gr MK generate higher pressures then say the 300 cal-240gr?
2 Since the cartridges would be shorter to allow them to fit in the mag (I'd have the chamber moved back to allow this) the bullets would sit back in the case more. How much would I have to back off on the loads to keep the pressures the same?
3)Is the difference in energy down range between the 220 and 240 MK in the 300 cal. and the 250 and 300gr MK in the 338 that great?
4) Which, in your opinions is the most inherently accurate downrange?
Sorry if I seem to ramble, any help, advice, or opinions would be a big help.
Digger49r

I have 300rum and 300/338 and the 300smk is the most accurate long range bullett also the most energy of what I have tried yet.I don't know the answers to the pressure ?'s
but the .338 chambering with the 300gr. SMK
is devestating on game at long range.But don't take my word for it besides you would miss all the fun testing all the other bullets!!!

I have 300rum and 300/338 and the 300smk is the most accurate long range bullett also the most energy of what I have tried yet.I don't know the answers to the pressure ?'s
but the .338 chambering with the 300gr. SMK
is devestating on game at long range.But don't take my word for it besides you would miss all the fun testing all the other bullets!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts