The .275 Weatherby for LRH?

KM.. Free country sweet pea. Perhaps you could educate me?

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Toss S1 aside and I think we all lose something valuable.

He and I disagree on numerous topics, however, his input has value to me and must be considered given his background and experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> originally posted by S1: Careful Holmes, you are'nt implying that a .257 might actually kill something past 700 yards are you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am.... especially given the Weatherby velocitiy of 3400 fps with the heavy-for-calibre pill. It's not something I would try with my 25/06, but this is also due to my not having the necessary skill at that range yet. The prairie dogs of Wyoming will attest to the fact that I'm workin' on it though!
smile.gif

Whatever range I am able to take prairie dogs with 90% consistency on the first shot is my working distance for the game season.

I keep a logbook when varmint shooting for my TRR, (Tactical Rat Rifle), and this insures my efficacy. I'm really looking forward to my goal of a first shot 1K prairie dog. I may have it mounted
grin.gif

I've actually enjoyed this thread as there are few that deal with the 25 calibre.

Thanks to all.

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: Holmes ]

Now are you two boys done cyber boxing? Just kidding, I very much enjoy the information both DC and S1 share. I'm savvy enough to discern what I need to know and ignore that which does not pertain to my question. Both poster's have a great deal of knowledge and plenty to share. I hold no malace against either one. While they do take a few jabs at each other, it's certainly a long ways from how down and dirty things get on other boards....which I do appreciate. Thank you to everyone who has posted thus far and please feel free to continue as I have very much enjoyed reading what other have had to say. Btw S1, I sent you an email in reply to the NAM painting. Never heard back from you did you decide either way? If it would just be easier for me to send cash I can do that too. Darryl just out of curiousity did you end up hanging on to that 300 Weatherby? If so how did it end up shooting?

As a self proclaimed long range "Newbie" I have learned from both DC and S1. I respect both of your backgrounds and knowledge, but please try to argue based on facts or opinions. Ease up on the personal attacks - BOTH OF YOU. If you were my kids I would knock heads, send you both to your rooms and come back when your ready to be civil
tongue.gif

This forum would greatly miss the information presented by BOTH of you.

Big Sky

I sold the 300 Weatherby but before it left for it's new owner he asked if it could be taken on out to a 300 Tomahawk. It left here as a Tomahawk and it shoots VERY well.
Ask Chris Jamison and Jake.

S1

You just don't know "How" hard this German head is.

DC
grin.gif

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

The info from DC and S1 is very valuable. Just wish when you guys but heads you wouldn't hit so hard. Info without all the BS carries more weight.

I myself find all this quite entertaining thatnk you....
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

Big Sky:

Who knew you were such a trouble maker? heh, heh.

I agree with KM, why don't we take a vote to get someone to cancel s1 and his registration. Having been a long time lurker I just find his comments useless and a waste of our time. KM is right, s1 is brainless and does not know when to shut up! I am hear to try and learn.

Tim

Never said it was a "BAD" idea.

Just a bit light for me, that's all. I like a larger bullet with a better BC. My ranges are usually much further and I need those features in a bullet.

I guess I shouldn't believe things I hear.
Heard a buck was hit and left alive for quite a while? None of my business how it was killed or even if it was.
That's why I asked about "quick Kills."
Thought maybe the 25 didn't do the job?

Don't really know if it was you guy's but, the word was, a 25 on a bigger case was used?
Thought maybe it could be you since it was in this area. Down 120 at the power line.

If it works for you, it was a great idea and that's all that counts.

Good luck and keep making those quick kills.

Sounds like you have some dandy's coming to experiment with.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 05-25-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

See what happens when grown-ups leave the room!!
tongue.gif

Here are some facts that we know.....
WE have used two different .257 to kill deer at long range..
1st we built a.25-270 ICL Ram (see P.O.Ackley's book) with a 32" barrel,it shot a 108gr jlk vld at 3730fps....no problem...

2nd we built a .25-.300win 40deg.imp with the shoulder pushed back to a 7mm rem mag lth.(.257 wby imp. basically)with a 32' barrel, it shot 108 jlk vld at 4085fps..

The rifle that I'm building right now is a .25-270 wsm 40deg.imp,it should be able to shoot a 115 berger vld around 3800-3900fps...

The numbers through jbm web site come out like this.....

A 115gr. with a b.c. of .522 shot at 3900fps.,S.H. 1.88",33.3deg.f,
50.%hum.,Bar.Pre.29.5in Hg,Alt.1800
At 1000yds...
Velocity...1999.2fps....
Energy.....1020.5ft-lbs
Drop.......-14.7 moa
Wind.......5.3 moa
Lead.......5.4 (moving target at 3mph)
Time in flight.....1.08 sec.

Point blank range...
A 20" target can be engaged out to 611yds with a zero of 519yds.. This means you can shoot a 20" target with your rifle sighted in at 519yds out to 611yds.....Not too shabby!!

TO compare....A 300win.shooting a 210gr.berger vld at 2940fps.....
At 1000 yds.
Velocity....1623.5fps
Energy......1229.0ft-lbs
Drop........-25.3 moa
Wind........6.0 moa
Lead........6.9 ( moving target 3mph)
Time in flight 1.376 sec.

D.C.you ask if the deer that we shot this year were Quick Kills......well D.R.T.(from the 5th marines snipers)DEAD RIGHT THERE!!!! got it all on video tape, be more than glad to show you!!!
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

P.S. JUST BECAUSE ITS NOT YOUR IDEA, THAT DON'T MAKE IT A BAD ONE!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

T.Sherry....You are truly a BEACON OF LIGHT.....a GLIMMER OF HOPE......a PERPETUAL EPIPHANY OF FACT.....a BASTION OF COMMON SENSE......a VISIONARY AMONG LONG RANGERS..........

Especially the ones who think in a box.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.