The .25-06 and .25-06 Improved By J.C. Munnell

What do you do when you walk into the local yokel gun dealer in South Texas in 1988 and he has a Ruger M77 in 25-06 with a Burris Signature 3x9 on top? What do you do when the gun is on consignment for $235 and has never been fired?

YOU BUY IT!!!

What do you do when you work up loads and 120 gr. Speer BTSP's shoot five shots into less than an inch?

YOU KEEP IT!!!! Forever.....

Cant tell you how much meat this 25 has put in the freezer or how many varmints/predators in the grave but, a bunch between my two sons and I.

Great gun and great cartridge.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, The .25-06 and .25-06 Improved, By J.C. Munnell. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I enjoyed your article very much. I'm new to the long range hunting idea, although I've hunted all my life. I've always wanted a mid-sized caliber to hunt coyotes and deer here in AZ. I have a custom 6mm that I love but I like the idea of hunting white tail and mule deer with a little larger caliber such as the .25's. I've been a big fan of the 257 Bob, but realize the longer flatter shooting of the 25-06 is more ideal for longer open shots her in my home state. Can you give me a little for information on some of the ballistics of the larger grains like the 115's, 117's and 120's? I'm considering putting a new barrel on an older M77 II I have and improving it. I would go with a 25" or 26" barrel if I do.

I'm new here, joined today. I really enjoyed reading all of the posts in this section about the 25-06. I did not realize that it was capable of the harvests that were posted. I very recently traded for a Browning FN action with 25-06 fluted blued 26" bull barrel with varmint stock and small bipod weighing in 11 3/4 lbs with Simmons Whitetail Classic scope 6.5-20x 50mm AO scope on redfield mounts and ammo, dies, IMR 4350 powder and have yet to take it to the range. Everything I have killed at any long range (220-240 yds) was with a 30-06 BAR or 742. The 25-06 owner said that this rifle has killed 5 crows and several hogs, but no deer and it was just too heavy to lug around. I could not find any identifying marks on the barrel to determine the maker. The flutes are sharp and the rifling is bright and shiny. I do not know what the bbl twist is yet? Is there an easy way to measure? I received reloads of 90 grain hp with 52 grains of IMR 4350. I do not know what the specs are on this load. I have several boxes of different factory brands and loads. I also have 3 Weatherbys that I will sell since I am rifle rich and no place to hunt yet. I started out shooting right handed and discovered that I was left eye dominate. So I switched to shooting LH and my last kill was 2 does in Georgia at 180 + yds with a LH Savage 116 7mm rem mag fluted bbl adj on/off brake right handed only shots in duck soup fog. I have watched the long range YouTube videos and most of those shots were with shoulder thumping 300 win mag or similar cartridge with a much heavier bullet. BTW I have 3 RH 300 win mags and 1 300 Weatherby mag in LH. Any information on my 25-06 would be appreciated and if there is any interest in any of the other 300s please let me know. My only experience in varmint shooting was shooting a jack rabbit at 20 yds with a 7mm rem mag and I was embarrassed that there was nothing left of the rabbit after the kill. I am looking forward to viewing the different forums here. I killed my first deer with 30-06 (742) and I am looking forward to giving forum feedback on my 25-06 after I take it to the range. Thank you for the opportunity to sound off here and get more involved with the different forums.

Great read...thanks. I've recently picked up a Rem 700 XHR in .25-06 and mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 w/ Rapid Z800 reticle on it. I have a few boxes of 100 and 120gr assorted ammo (mostly to break in the rifle and give me some brass to work with) and picked up some IMR 4831 and some Barnes TSX and Sierra Game King bullets.

I'm really looking forward to working with this outfit...I've been very pleased with my Rem 700 SPS SS in .308 Win w/ a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope with Rapid Z600 reticle. If the XHR does as well, I'm a happy camper.

gun)

FH

Heavier 115 - 120 gr loads

Haven't returned to this thread in a while. I see a couple of guys have asked about heavier bullet loads. There are some excellent longer, heavier .25 caliber bullets avail including the Sierra Gameking, Nosler's superb 115 grain Ballistic Tip & Partition, and the 115 Berger VLD.

My last three mule deer, from 175 - 400 yards, have been shot with the 115 gr Berger VLD. It's a high BC bullet, capable of great accuracy and holds velocity well even at longer ranges.

Loading data for the 115 - 120 gr bullets is readily avail from Hodgdon's web site. For the 115's I went with Retumbo powder, and found that my particular rifle produced greater velocity than the load manual indicated, reaching nearly 3200 fps. A slick, high BC 115 launched at 3200 fps is very effective on deer, even out at 400 yards.

I believe other slow-burning powders would work as well, but I was so happy with the results from Retumbo, I haven't tried any others. I stick with H4350 for my 100 gr loads and Retumbo for the 115 gr loads. So far I've limited my loads to Federal 210 match primers and I neck-size only with a set of Wilson BR type dies.

Your mild-recoiling .25-06 is a quarter mile deer rifle for sure, likely capable of far more than that in the right hands.

Regards, Guy

Great Article. Only thing I wish you would of added was info on the heavier bullets like the 117 SBT or the Berger 115 or Nosler 110 bullet. With the .25-06 being my main go to caliber since before Remington built them I have a terrible soft spot in my heart for the caliber and have been working with a new rifle over the last couple years in .25-06 AI it looks like I'm right there with you. :)
One thing I discovered early on was how great the .25-06 worked with the heavier bullets. Mine have done so well with them that I seldom tried anything else.
Again, great article.
I enjoyed the article also, and at the present am developing a load for my Remington 700 SPS, using 120 Gr Nosler Partitions. Have been using Nosler 115 Gr Ballistic Tips and they are very good. Just wanting to strive for something a little bit better.

I have been shooting the 25-06 for about 12 years loading a 100 Grn Nosler Balistic Tip. I have taken several couse deer, mule deer, sheep and even black bear with no issues. My velocity with the 100 Grn Balistic tip is just over 3500 ft per sec with no pressure signs. I have been yearning to try the Berger 115 Grn but the BT groups so tight and has worked so well (even on the bigger game) that I cant pry myself away from it. I shot a couse deer at 540 yards and frequently practice at 500 with this caliber, strong wind can be an issue. gun)All in its a highly underated caliber I find myself shooting more than my .300s or .270s

Last year I had a 25/06AI built. 26" barrel. I settled on the 115 nosler ballistic. with IMR4831 it shoots great for an 8lb rifle. 5/8" @ 200yds. It will NOT shoot the 110accubonds. there longer and wont stableise for me.1-10 twist. Berger recommends a 1-9 twist for there 115 because of length. I may rebarrel it. Last year I shot MT goats at 400yds. one shot high shoulder, clean kills. for a med weight hunting rifle Im comfortable with it out to 600yds. next rifle will be an Allen Magnum, just as soon as I save the money. :D I had a stock 25-06, this rifle out performs it. With the newer powders I think the AIs are worth the work. this year its goats and muleys.

What do you think the effective range for the 25.06 is on med size game?400-500 yards????

IMO. standard 2506? using the rule (?) of 1000ft lbs energy its about 400yds for the 100 gr and alittle more for the 115. the ackley gives me 100-150 yds more. its worth 150-200fps to start with. this is comparing my old 25 with a 24" and my ai has a 26.75" barrel. last year the 115 passed thru the antelope, high shoulders, exit hole was 3"dia. 400yds gun)my longest shot with it sofar is 550yds. nice calm day. with any wind ,10+ ,I will just stalk alittle closer. better safe than sorry. one last thing, I do reload and shoot fairly often. I study the rifle, the game and the area I hunt. it all helps.

I would concur the maximum range is about 500 yards on white tail/antelope sized game. I have shot regularly to 600 with the rifle but the majority of animals taken have been inside of 350. I took a clean couse deer at 540 on a perfect day with a perfect rest but would not care to shoot much past this distance. Great caliber but not a super long range killer. In reality you should try to get as close as possible anyway.

I was thinking about switching my .270 into a .25.06 so I can use it on both yotes and deer

My 25-06AI was on a 1917 action it was the only rifle I had for 20 or 30 years.
it took me that long to shoot the throat out of it and all I ever shot in it was 87 grain hollow points at 3920 fps. It was a very accurate rifle.
the weathby 257 only shoots 60 fps faster and takes 10 more grains of powder to do it.
25-06AI and 264 mag has been my favorite for many years.
HERE IS MY RUGER 25-06 THAT I HAVE NOW.

4RUGER25-06.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.