The 20-50 caliber.(pictures :)

A wheel barrow with double shoulder harness!!:D

Tank

I personally would take after the safari route.. I would get three africans to pack that sucker for me... Or wait better yet a team of sherpas cause I like to hunt up high.. And up high to me is waaaaayyyyy down low for a sherpa. They should be able to pack me and the rifle with that thick of 02... Ha Ha Ha

I had a picxture of a 20mm bolt action reciever next to a sa-50 bmg the bolt it self and action was the size od the semi auto from stock to forend.

Whoa! thanks for the pics as they always put things in perspective. It is big!

If my memory serves me correctly, the military went away from the 20mm depleted uranium projectiles in about 1992. They switched to titanium if I remember right. I think that round had a sabot however.

Depleted Uranium! It has a much higher density than steel or lead and weighs a lot more. They can package it in smaller bullets with much higher weight. It is mostly used for anti-armor.

Tank

If my memory serves me correctly, the military went away from the 20mm depleted uranium projectiles in about 1992. They switched to titanium if I remember right. I think that round had a sabot however.

Your probably right. That last show I saw on big guns like this still talked about depleted uranium. Who knows how old that show was. I'm sure they have up graded, but you would be hard pressed to get a short enough bullet out of a Titanium bullet to reach 1000 grains. Titanium is a precious medal and extremely light.

Tank

Yaa, that was the CWS field change and I'm pretty sure it was used for shooting down missiles mostly at close range. (Close in Weapon System) which was used inside of 2k yds. 3k rds per minute. Just sounds like a burrrrrrp. I might even have a little brass laying around. I remember shaking my head at all that brass going to waste and wishing I had the money to make a single shot rifle to load that brass. The only problem is that it is an electronic ignition primer system. 400volts. That was a long time ago (two wives) and I could be off a bit or even wrong all together. Heck I can't even remember what I had for supper yesterday. :rolleyes:

Tom

With brass that size and 3000 rounds a minute you would think the military would devise a system to capture the brass and reload but, I guess that's coming from the perspective of myself who hates to see useful things wasted.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.