That advertisement needs to go!

I had so much trouble with the site locking up my computer I took it too the computer doc thinking I had a virus or something.
We got rid of IE7 and went back to IE6 and it loads faster and then we up graded my ram from 256 and added another 512 stick to it and now I can load it fast. But then I have to look at it now. The adds on the right bother me the worst as I have to keep looking at them but the one on the top I can scroll down and it goes away :)

The ad is a little overdone to me, but it sure hasn't irritated me to the level it has some here. I also realize the that having advertiser's allows this site to continue on without financial stress. I know to keep a site like this up and running takes both money and time. I can put up with ads to keep this site strong.

Ernie, thanks. We hope to get a response tomorrow about the one slow ad.

As to money and time, I am spending 10 times as much effort and time as a year ago on the site. Good thing I am retired. Semi-retired really, because I help out my son in his new business part time.

There are tons of add-on programs available for this new vBulletin forum software. I am spending time sifting through the offerings to add more functionality to the site.

I think I just found a 2nd map program yesterday. This one will enable us to have Google maps embedded in any posts. The best use would be for the Shooting Range Forum. But it could be used in any of the forums by the members. Pretty easy to use.

Teh Fixer, who is a paid professional helper, told me just one hour ago that we need to go to a more expensive server, given that our site traffic is up to 850,000 page views per month and climbing fast. This would enable us to have more control and we'd be better able to tweak performance.

The more traffic we have, the more posts we get. And that adds tremendously to our daily enjoyment. The busier the better. The number of new daily posts is up 50%.

We are adding 12 members per day. That's over 40% annual growth. Some of the new ones are really sharp. They will turn into great contributors.

Good news!

I just got a reply to my email. The advertising manager said they will pull the ad until they can figure out what's wrong.

The ad is a little overdone to me, but it sure hasn't irritated me to the level it has some here. I also realize the that having advertiser's allows this site to continue on without financial stress. I know to keep a site like this up and running takes both money and time. I can put up with ads to keep this site strong.

Ernie,
You got something on your nose there. I've got a hankerchief if you just lean a little closer over here........

Just messin' with ya big guy! Hey, how's them wildcat boolets doing in that handgun anyhow?

The specific ad in question was a flash ad with holly "growing". It was in the top center of the pages. It has been off the site for at least a week.

Teh Fixer determined it had bad computer code in it, from the advertiser. That code caused the entire holly show to complete itself before anything else could continue loading. All normal flash ads load without requiring the entire ad to "run" before other site content can load.

Again, the bad ad is dead and buried.

I certainly sympathize with those who can not purchase high speed connections in these times of image laden websites. It must be terribly frustrating.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts