Texas Public Lands Hunt

wilkup

Are there OTC tags available for the Big Bend area I can purchase and go hunting on a DIY hunt down there where I can spot and stalk.
I'm from the northwest and after last season's deer stand over a feeder hunt, I'm ready for the opportunity to go back to the way I know.
Any help you're able to offer would be awesome!
Thanks.

Your best bet would be to find a private place close to it.

I can't justify the idea of hunting from a stand over a feeder or paying someone to go hunt on their property. I know that's typical for down here, I just didn't grow up like that and don't want to start chasing big game that way at this point in my life.
I found a place in the panhandle that's available for public land hunts and allows the use of rifle hunting. =)

All the locals in the whole panhandle know about it. It is covered with hunters. Most of the deer are spooked off by people scouting the few days before season. They certainly are by opening morning. The deer move to adjoining large ranches which discourage trespassing and will have the sheriff pick you up and take you to jail. Save your money and go elsewhere.

That's a major disappointment!
I guess I'll be forgoing hunting season this year then... Oh well.
Maybe next year I'll just apply for out of state tags or make a trip back to my home state of Washington to hunt the areas I grew up in and know where to fill my tags.

Why not put in for the draw hunts in the Wilderness areas in New Mexico. If you are in good shape and are a pretty good hunter your success could be pretty high.

Why not put in for the draw hunts in the Wilderness areas in New Mexico. If you are in good shape and are a pretty good hunter your success could be pretty high.

What are the cutoffs for those? If I haven't missed the my opportunity for this season, I'm in =)

I do not know. You will have to Google it. A friend of mine and i put in years ago and got picked the first year. I killed a great 6x6 and my friend missed a nice 5x5. We went near Chama.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.