Testing loads 100 or 200yds?

pretex

When testing load development for the lrh rifle, what distance is the best to test at, 100 or 200 yds?

I'll give you my opinion:) I was told to start at 100 and as soon as it looked like I had a decent load move out to 200 yrds this information come from a guy that shoots 1000 matches . I have noticed that what I though was a good load @ 100 was not that good the further I moved out now I have a load that measures .318 @ 200 yrds and it's ready for some play time at extended ranges.:)Good luck.

Big Buck

I do a ladder at 300, get my data and choices from there, then test loads at 300. Everything through a chronograph and EVERYTHING documented and recorded.

I find it far more accurate and easier in the long run to do it at 300. The only difference in 300 and 100 is the additional 200 yard walk but if the targets and testing is set up right, it's not that big a deal.

Just my $.02 :)

I do a ladder at 300, get my data and choices from there, then test loads at 300. Everything through a chronograph and EVERYTHING documented and recorded.

I find it far more accurate and easier in the long run to do it at 300. The only difference in 300 and 100 is the additional 200 yard walk but if the targets and testing is set up right, it's not that big a deal.

Just my $.02 :)

Agreed. The only reason I might start at 100 or 200 yds is if your shooting location is windy the day you have to shoot. I would then wait for a low to no wind day and shoot at 300. I find it easier to detemine if the load is going to be a winner at 300 yds. POIs are expanded 3X on target.

Agreed. The only reason I might start at 100 or 200 yds is if your shooting location is windy the day you have to shoot. I would then wait for a low to no wind day and shoot at 300. I find it easier to detemine if the load is going to be a winner at 300 yds. POIs are expanded 3X on target.
POI's are expanded 3x on Target your exactly right that's why instead of wasting powder/primers/bullets exc. I shoot 100 then 200 then inter it into exbal and bust targets with less wasted ammo:)

What exactly is the ladder method? I have heard it used before, but can't find anything saying exactly what it is. Sorry for the newbie question.

I do my load development at 200, everything over the chrono as well. I think you learn more faster at the longer range. I would do 300yrds, but the range that I use is only 200yrds.

I started using the longer range for load development a couple years ago. I had a rifle built, did load development at 100yrds after all the break in shooting was done. Needless to say I was disappointed with the results. The rifle was holding just under 1", and I was expecting better. For what ever reason, I decided to shoot it at 200yrds, it held the same group. The same load held less than 5" at 1000yrds.

My point is, if I had not shot that load at 200yrds, I may have shelved the load.

Good shooting,

Steve

I also start off with a ladder test at 300. I have been able to find the right load everytime after doing the ladder test. If 300 yard range not available, use the 200 yard range.

Here's a link to how to do the ladder test, I usually only go about 10 or 12 shots below max because I don't really care to have an accurate load without the velocity.
http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/manuals/incredload.pdf

Here's the target I shot with my 6BRX at 300 yards using the load I developed with the ladder test. This 5 shot group measures right at 1" including the one that is out the the group, the other four went into .350". WORK UP TO THIS LOAD!

6BRX300yd.jpg

Thanks for all the replys..

If you do a ladder test at lets say 500 yds and find your accuracy window, can the rest of the fine tuning be done at say 100 yds or 200yds?

I don't know what you mean by final tuning. Once you find a load at 500 yards you are usually there. What I have noticed is that sometimes a 500 yard load is not very impressive at 100, anyone else experience this?

300 yards is also my starting point. If I get a load shooting awesome at 100 yds but won't shoot well at 300 I just lost my time and money finding a long range load. On the other hand, if I get a load shooting great at 300 and not so good at 100 I just don't care. If it shoots great at 300 and does not at longer ranges, you either have to practice more or buy another rifle. :D

Like others who have posted here, I like to do load development @ 200yds+. Then fine tune it for the distances that you intend to shoot. For example, if you are hitting pdogs at 400 then test at 400. It will give you a better representation on how your load will actually print at those ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.