Terminal Ballistics of Accubonds

Derek,
Sorry, I thought I read on another thread where you posted about having a bad experience on a deer with an Accubond.
I'm a bullet whore. I've tried a lot of different bullets through the years and had good and bad experiences. Right now I'm really excited about the Berger's but haven't killed enough with them to really know.
The problem is everyone has a different definition about what "works". For some, dead is dead. Others want a DRT reaction. Of this I am certain, all bullets "work" some of the time, and no bullet "works" all the time.
Hopefully, this break I will be able to gather more experience with the 300 grain hybrid on a cow elk.

jumpalot, you are correct. I did post about losing a muley with a well placed quartering to shot at only 45 or so yards with a 140 AB from a 270. Knocked him down, went to gut him, he jumps up and runs off. Something didn't go right on that occasion but that's not going to steer me clear of the AB bullets.

If I had to pimp a bullet for general purpose hunting based on my experience it would likely be the Barnes stuff. But I like many bullets and know that not all will serve each hunting scenario.

Now ask me how a 200 AB from a 300 RUM performs on a pronghorn at 65 yards broadside. :D

Everyone will run into a bullet that gives them fits, mine are the Barnes TSX and Nosler BT, I wouldn't sweat it and try a BT. I have found with Accubonds that they are tough and need to be put on bone or thick meat on the entrance side to get the DRT effect, hitting high especially, I've recovered a couple out of dirt after going though an animal that I wouldn't call spectacular. In my 270 WSM they wreck elk like Thors hammer, I don't expect an animal to DRT but I've had more with the Accubond than any other bullet I've shot but I shoot them fast.

I am not a big fan of the bonded bullets I used the old combined technology on a goat.I was told by a good friend not to use them he put 8 into a 400 nevada bull before it gave up. but i had no time to try a new bullet.
I only had to use one but thats only becuse i was only offered one shot as it run over a ridge being double lunged i as amazed how long it lived it didnt go to far before laying down but it took me a good bit of time to get to the top of the ridge he went over as we peaked over he still had enough energy to stand up then roll down the mountian.
My friends wife just last week killed a nice bull elk with a 140 ab it went 10 feet. and i took an elk last year with a 168 bt out of an 06 it didnt go to far but didnt die real quick either. then this year antalope hunting in wyoming I was using a 169.5 wildcat out of a 270 amp custom @ 3015 quartering away 280 yards took out the last two ribs entering and came to rest breaking the off side shoulder not exiting, the goat ran 50 yard then nose planted, my friends goat was hit with a 200 gn ab out of a 300rum 590 yards it did the same thing mine did about 50 yard and nose planted. I think you need to go with whats been said try a few and stay with what you feel comfortable with

I have always matched the bullet to the game, not a one size fits all just because it shoots great. For pronghorn and deer sized game, a plain jane bullet that shoots well is the ticket. They are not hard to kill and controlled expansion and bonded bullets are working against you, unless you are shooting a super fast cartridge and have to be ready for shots from 25-500 yards.

Trout-n-salmon, I don't consider any of the instances you mentioned as bullet failure. You recovered the game, even though you may have pumped multiple shots into it (needed or not). For chest shots rarely do animals drop right there. With circulatory impacts, they have to bleed out. The higher the shot is on the carcass, that's how deep the blood must be inside to start running out. Bears have thick hides that soak up a lot of blood. I'd guess the same goes for goats and sheep. A high shoulder shot will also sever the spinal cord and they drop on the shot.

What did the internal organs look like on these animals? After re-reading the initial post I would try changing how I shot stuff, looking at most of the shots I wouldn't call any of them a one shot deal, quartering shots will usually get you on the edges of stuff, not putting a solid hole through the goodies. Shooting high and back, it won't mater what bullet you shoot, your not going to get what your looking for. If a solid first shot is not made then you will need follow up shots but since the animal has it's juice up they can take a pounding.

Change your POI to the crease behind the leg and mid line and lower with the animal standing 90 degrees to you and you will not have bullet failure!

The failure of Accubond to open up at long range per some users tends to give credence to Swift's advertising that solid copper shells give more reliable expansion over a wider velocity range than gilding metal.

You can switch to Nosler Partition and get very reliable expansion, or you can switch to Scirocco and get very reliable expansion, for about the same price, per the majority consensus on the subject. Both are quite a bit more coin than Accubond.

At very long range, there is always Ballistic Tip, at a very reasonable price. No good if your game wanders up in your face, unless you want violent expansion and little penetration.

It seems that in most cases, the "original" bullet gives the best performance for its intended use. That would mean Partition, A-Frame, Ballistic Tip, Scirocco, Barnes-X, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, etc. They are all a bit different for a different use. Their later copies usually come up a bit short by comparison, by the majority consensus, from what I have gathered so far.

There is no use to offer a bullet "exactly" like somebody else has done, besides the patent infringements. It would only split the market and reduce profits for both parties. Better to design a bit differently, even if it offers no improvement, and sell the difference of perception. Perception is over 90% of reality to most people anyway. In advertising terms, that's called "selling the sizzle" instead of "selling the steak". That attitude is rampant in the firearms industry just like most other places.

The only animals that I have shot with an accubond is 5 deer with the 130 gr in my 264 win mag. All five were DRT. from 80 to 250 yards. I could not ask for better performance than I have got with them.

I have been using NAB's in both my 300 Rum and 338 Rum for quite a few years with outstanding results. One thing I do question however is lot to lot variances of the bullets. While some have reported their bullets punching through, I have noticed the exact opposite. Out of my 300 Rum with a mv of 3250, I have killed 5 antelope between 3 and 4 hundred yards and all DRT. If I was to have a complaint, it would be too fast of expansion. On an antelope two years ago, range was about 350, DRT, quartering shot through the front shoulder and bullet recovered on far side back by ham under the skin. Bullet weight was about 110 grains (180 gr) mushroom was textbook, but bullet blew up on entrance ruining the cape with a 4 inch hole in the hide.

With the 225 AB's in my 338 Rum, I have pushed them between 3300 and now down to 3150 due to primer pockets not holding, I finally recovered my first bullet last fall on a quartering shot on a big muley at only 200 yrds, another DRT, with bullet breaking on side shoulder and recovered under the hide on off side ham. Perfect mushroom, I can't tell you how much it weighed since my wife decided it was garbage and threw it away before I could weigh it, but it appeared to be 60% or more. The year before I shot 3 whitetails and a five point bull without recovering any bullets and all never took a step. I even looked for a whitetail doe to attempt a lenthwise shot on to try and recover a bullet, but it didn't work, 300 yrds straight on but a little too much up hill angle equaled 18 inches of penetration with a baseball sized hole exiting top of back. I have also killed a 6 point bull @572 with the 225 AB out of a different barrel that was giving me problems and the hit was too far back, but the bull was so sick, he couldn't move and allowed for a few more shots to hit the right place a put him down.

In a quest for better bullet performance, I tried 250 grain partitions out of my last barrel on my 338 Rum because the barrel liked them better than the AB's. I shot a 6 point bull elk at 542 yrds breaking the on side shoulder, another hit and the bull went down. When I quartered the bull, I found the shoulder broken , but when I removed the shoulder, all I found was a pencil like hole entering the chest cavity, telling me that the partition had shed it's front half and all that went through the chest cavity was the base of the bullet with very little mushroom. No more partitions for me!

If I could ask for the ultimate hunting bullet, it would be a swift A frame with a polmer tip and a boat tail to get the B.C. up. If swift made a 225 scirroco in 338, I would probably be shooting that and I have given some thought to trying the 210 scirroco, but I hate to give up the higher bc of the AB.

Last fall, I worked up some loads with the Barnes Tipped Tripple shock BT in 225 338 and had good results on paper. The loads generated a bit more pressure than the AB's, but seemed to group slightly better @ 500 yds. I was looking to use these when I hunt elk in griz country but then heard of a local that shot a griz in Alaska last year with the same bullet and after breaking the shoulder of the bear, the bullet lost all of its pedals while traveling into the chest cavity. The bear was laying in wait to ambush the hunter, but the hunter climbed a tree to get a better look and saw the bear laying in wait and used the tree advantage to finish him off.

So, I think I will carry two bullets when hunting in griz country, some swift A frames for up close and personal encounters with bears with attitude, and AB's for the long shots.

I recently shot five pigs and a 19.5" Whitetail with 130gr Accubonds from my .260. They were launched at 2850 fps. They killed the pigs, one of which was pretty dang big, as quick as, and maybe quicker than anything else I have used on them. That's saying something, as pound for pound, I have never seen anything less willing to realize he's dead than a big pig. Here's a picture of the only accubond I recovered, which was from the boar shown also. I dug the bullet from under the gristle plate on the far side. The bullet had penetrated both shoulders.

We didn't weigh the boar, but with a tape measure, he measured 60" from the base of the tail to the tip of the snout and 32" from the bottom of the hoof to the top of the shoulder. Best guess is he weighed 375ish...

John

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Last edited:
The recovered bullet weighed 77gr. This pig stepped out in the fence right of way about 100 yards away, but saw me instantly and they took off west along the northern fence until they found a low spot. They crossed the under the fence then were running flat out to the north. I sprinted to where I could see them to shoot, picked the biggest, and took a butt shot as he was running flat out. The big boar went down instantly, squealing like crazy. Took me a couple of minutes to find a suitable place for me to cross the fence, then I ran up to within about 40 yards of him and put an Accubond through both shoulders. That's the bullet I recovered. I didn't want to get any closer, as he was at least partially mobile, and popping his teeth. After the shot, he was done. My cousin met me at him with my truck and we took pictures. I lazered back to where I had shot from and it was 201.5 yards. Not bad for an offhand running shot. I guess, sometimes, it's just better to be lucky than good!

John

IMO, if you want bang flop then take the high shoulder shot!

IMO, the Accubond is a near perfect bullet.
The ballistic tip generally ensures fast expansion but the heavy jacket ensures good weight retention.

It is not the fastest animal dropper since it does not blow up like the pure ballistic tip bullets.

Where I think that it shines is when you screw up!
If you have an animal going away and it moves faster than you anticipate and you hit the ham on the
way in with a more fragile bullet you will rarely recover the animal.
An Accubond will penetrate to the vitals if you have the energy instead of just destroying the ham!

If you will only make perfect shots then a bullet that blows up is fine, if a monster shows up
I want to take the raking shot and still make a quick kill.

edge.

I use the "super long range" bullets like the Bergers, and my own SXR's, all the time because they do a better job at extreme ranges IMO. However; under 600 yards, I agree with everything Edge has said....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.