Tents.

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by kc, Jul 30, 2011.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

What make of tent do you use when you pack in? I bought a CABELAS ALASKAN back in 78 and its been the best one I ever owned, till my brothers little girl who was 2 at the time fell through the screen, I need to buy another, this time the kids and dogs will stay away.
    I have woke up with 2 ft of snow on the top and sides, its been in high winds roled through the campground. and I just cant seem to let go.

2. TheHardWay

TheHardWay Well-Known Member

I use a MSR Hubba Hubba for my backpack hunting. It is light and sets up very quickly. I never had it in heavy snow, so I don't know how it holds up to that.

If I had an endless supply of money, I'd definitely buy a Hilleberg.

3. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

I have the Cabelas Alaskan for over 10 years and when I need a new one will go back there. Several of my friends have changed when there tents didn't hold up and mine did. I know what you mean about snow and rain just one good tent.

4. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

For a base camp I have a Eena Wall Tent 12X16 that I have used for 30 years. Bear tore one end out of it but other than that it has never failed.

Also have a 14X14 Eena "TT" Tent which is perfect for two when horseback and moving around. Both are good 4 season tents.

Beckel Canvas. Link is below.

Tents | Beckel Canvas Products

5. 1100 Remington Man

1100 Remington Man Well-Known Member

I use a Cabelas Alaskan Guide series 6 man when hunting from a base camp and a Kelty Grand Mesa 4 person for Backpack hunting both have been great the cabelas 6 Man will sleep 2 on cots and one on floor. The Kelty sleeps three on floor for Elk hunting and tent only weights 7.5 lbs

6. permaculture

permaculture Well-Known Member

I have a Eureka Apex XT 2 person, which means 1. They now have a 3 person which means 2 as far as I am concerned.

It is a 3 season tent, not a 4 season.

7. Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

My wife and I spend a little over three weeks during moose season in an 8 man Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent. It is usually just the 2 of us but we have taken others with us, nephew, son, daughter and a friend or 2 over the years but normally just the 2 of us. It has held up to wind, rain and snow. It is not a backpacking tent but our trail run is around 80 miles and we're not backpacking 80 miles for a moose.

Gus