Tell me about Idaho Unit 35

Have not been back to unit 35 or 39 sense leaving southern Idaho but this is what I know from the time I did spend hunting there. If you hunt early you want to be back in the country where the south fork of the Payette river headwaters on one side and the North fork of the Boise River and Queens River on the other. There are some really good bucks to be found there but overall you won't see a lot of deer. That is their summer range and its big country. Elk are where you find them and I highly recommend you have horses.

If you choose to hunt late weather dictates where the game is in unit 35 and you can find them migrating out of the high country. There are three routes that I'm familiar with. They are the range that separates the middle fork and north of the Boise River and the range between the south fork of the Payette River and the Ten Mile drainage and the range between the Ten Mile drainage and the north fork of the Boise River.

Two of the routes are in unit 39 but the Ten Mile drainage is in unit 35. There are a lot of elk and deer that winter in unit 33 which is down the Payette River boarding unit 35.

I don't have a clue as to the effect the wolves have had there. I know there were some problems around Sun Valley and the south fork of the Boise River which is not that far away. Good luck and hope you do well.

PS
The picture in my signature was taken in the saddle between the Queens River and the north fork of the Boise River at the top of the Johnson Creek trail.

Wolves have had a SIGNIFICANT impact on density but there are still some decent animals to be had and we are working on the wolf thing as best we can in fact that's all I'm doing this week (puppydogs and Kittycats).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts