Teflon Finishes

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
DONS6.5-06-2.jpg

I will get ball rolling concerning teflon finishes. There are several brands and styles of teflon or apply and bake finishes. I have tried most of them. I like Teflon for certain projects. In the photo above you see an application of OD Green and Black, this is one of teflons advantages is multiple colors. Some of the teflon finishes have gotton a bad rap with concern to wear. Just like most other things prep work is the key (just ask you wife or girlfriend). If the surface is not blasted clean then not contaminated prior to finish application the end result will be sub standard and will let loose and wear prematurely. I am not going to go into the couple of things I learned that make them more durable mostly because I spend many hours learning them. Well OK, you did ask nice after all. Prep metal as described apply finish, heat to 350 deg instead of 300 bake for 1-2 hours. If the color has changed (OD green tends to turn a light brown) don't worry. Let cool for 24 hours with out touching. After 24 hours wipe down with WD40, this will restore the color and the finish seems to suck in a certain ammount of the oil. The finish will not fully cure for 10-14 days. I recommend hanging it up and not looking at it for at least a week. This is what I have found to work the very best. You can handle anytime after it cools but if you mar it up because it is still soft dont say I didn't warn you.

That was good Shawn.

What would be a good product for a do it yourselfer?

d-a

What is the thickness of your finish? What range of colors do you have? Is it IR reflective? Thanks in advance for starting the thread and answering my questions. I'm thinking of having my straight tube 223 coated, as well as a few new projects.

Shawn ,

what about a matte white teflon finish ? Maybe even with some additional colors like matte black med gray and light gray for an artic camo finish ?

Jim B.

Shawn , how does it compair durability wise to the
KG GunKote and the Cerakote products.

I have noticed with the KG coating that its still kinda soft and easy to scratch for a few days after its cool

Meister,
I am not certain on exact thickness it varies. I try to go easy in tight areas and put it on on surface and wear areas. It is IR reflective, the black glows.

JD,

The Cerakote and Teflon-Moly are my favorites, I'm not real wild about gunkote. Durablilty wise I don't think there is enough difference to hang your hat on between any of them when done properly. However some guys are tougher on stuff than others.

Shawn

I've just "lost my cherry" on gun finishes with GUNKOTE - but I'm open to try anything. Did not know CERAKOTE and what appeals is their larger range of AIRCURE stuff (for scopes). Any feedback of that line?

Here of course the issue will be availability - but .....

That is the big draw of Cerakote is the ability to match the stock & scope with a non bake finish. They also have a wider varity of colors. I did not think that the Cerakote would be as do it yourself friendly as the Teflon-Moly finishes. I tried the TM finish on a stock once and did not care for it.

SNAKESKINCAMO.JPG

Here is the "snake skin" camo idea I had. This one I did in a standard ultra flat paint, but it is easy to duplicate with Teflon. The pattern is so broken it is also easy to paint the stock to match the teflon. The rifle is a 700 Sendero profile barrel 20" with Gemtech Bilock, fluted, in 308, the glass is the Leupold MRT 2.5-8x M2 in very low mounting position.

Shawn,

Do you use the same prep process on the stock?

Both rifles look really good. I like the OD with the black in the flutes and the "snakeskin" looks good also.

Devin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.