Teaser....

Hmmmm, could you maybe narrow it down ever so slightly and at least tell use what size bolt face your new creation is going to have????

It would still leave plenty of options while playing "What will Joel Build Next". :D

Had some time in the past few days, so I cut the cheek piece, installed my hardware, put a recoil pad on it and started the finishing routine with the "virgin soak coat" of oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 63
  • oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 44
  • oil2.jpg
    oil2.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 73
Please explain soak coating a virgin....... or was that a virgin soak coat. :D

Russo defines "virgin soak coat" as applying the first coat of a blend of oil and other solvents to a raw piece of wood. This "virgin soak coat" allows the solvents to draw the oil into the wood to further seal and enhance the patina of such a fine specimen. This is a long and laborious process that must be completed by careful manipulation of both the specimen and the oil. At the conclusion of the process, it will become quite apparent that the "virgin soak coat" was beneficial to the outcome.....:rolleyes:

Geeeeeez, did you whittle that boat oar out of a chunk of jackpine?? You know, a little attention to detail would go a long way! :rolleyes:

That stock is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I am a sucker for pretty wood and that one is really something. Keep the updates coming.

Merry Christmas

Brandon

Since I know VERY little about the different types of wood used, I won't embarrass myself by trying to identify what kind of wood that is but maybe you could throw the simple minded souls, such as myself, a bone and volunteer what kind of wood that is. If not, I'd like to buy a vowel... :D

Since I know VERY little about the different types of wood used, I won't embarrass myself by trying to identify what kind of wood that is but maybe you could throw the simple minded souls, such as myself, a bone and volunteer what kind of wood that is. If not, I'd like to buy a vowel... :D

You don't have to buy a vowel, LOL..

The wood I used for this build is a West African hardwood called Bubinga. It's one of my favorite woods to work with, and sort of my "signature wood". This particular piece was a quarter sawn piece that I laminated together. Not real heavy on figure, but exceptional strength. Janka hardness is 2,410 lbf. I figured I would build a "big brother" to the sporter I built last year. I used a flat sawn piece for that build that had beautiful figure...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.