Teach your kids properly.

RT2506

Please teach your kids or anyone for that matter what propellants are to be used in muzzle loaders. In my town this past week we had a Grandfather give his 14 year old grandson a muzzle loading rifle. I don't know if he was properly taught by the Grandfather or not. The kid went out by himself to shoot the muzzle loader and loaded it with SMOKELESS powder. The rifle blew up and sent the breach plug right through the kids head killing him. The family is devastated.

Unbelievable and so sad too. Don't know the particulars but, hopefully someone looks into why a 14 year old was allowed access in the first place.

I don't think access was the problem, I got my first ML at 14 and shot it unsupervised. The difference was I was allowed to do this because I had been given proper instruction and training and proven trustworthy.

I don't think access was the problem, I got my first ML at 14 and shot it unsupervised. The difference was I was allowed to do this because I had been given proper instruction and training and proven trustworthy.

True, I guess what I'm saying is without the training and instructions which appears to be self evident by the accident...I could be wrong...then some responsible party should have restricted access to them but, then again maybe they did and the kid broke into the locked cabinet or something...who knows. It's just very sad and irregardless of what actions could have been takin to prevent my heart goes out to the family. I can only imagine their pain.

What a tragedy ! Now that I am a father stories like this really shake me on the inside . This family needs prayer for sure during this time of great loss.

Bigbuck

True, I guess what I'm saying is without the training and instructions which appears to be self evident by the accident...I could be wrong...then some responsible party should have restricted access to them but, then again maybe they did and the kid broke into the locked cabinet or something...who knows. It's just very sad and irregardless of what actions could have been takin to prevent my heart goes out to the family. I can only imagine their pain.

I gotcha now, my post was a reaction to the trend I've seen lately that kids should essentially be bubble-wrapped until they are 18, and then they will somehow magically transform into adults able to be responsible and make good decisions. Growing up is a learning process. When I was growing up it was not unusual for an 11-12 yr old to be left to watch a 8-10 yr old sibling while the folks were out for awhile. Now locally, they're trying to prosecute someone for leaving a 14-yr-old to do that.

Now locally, they're trying to prosecute someone for leaving a 14-yr-old to do that.

That's the government's answer to everything...just legislate everything then prosecute everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts