TC Pro Hunter in 7mm-08

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by squirrelduster, Oct 26, 2008.

1. squirrelduster

squirrelduster Well-Known Member

I just purchased a new TC with a 7mm-08 barrel. I shoot a custom 300 win mag that I use for long range work but I wanted a light carry gun for hunting wild pigs in California and Whitetail in Wisconsin.
    I have a 4.5x14 Zeiss scope for it.
    What is a good bullet for the relatively close range of the Wisconsin bucks?
    Typical shot is somewhere around 100 yards in years past. In my 300 I have been using the 180 accubond with very good success. Would the 140 gr. work or does anyone have any other recommendations.
    How about powder? What is a good accurate powder for this cartridge?

Thanks for the help

2. Shortmagman

Shortmagman Well-Known Member

I reload for a friend that shoots deer with a Savage rifle in 7mm 08. His favorite load for deer under 200 yards is a Hornady 139 SP . That bullet is death on deer. It will penetrate most deer and it delivers a large exit hole. In fact he has shot 6 deer with that bullet and we have not recovered one bullet. What powder do I use? RL-19 along with WLR primers and Remington brass. With a shorter barrel it may be too slow but with his 22 inch barrel we get just short of 2900 ft/sec.(2875).

The Accubond bullet would be a better choice for hogs. We just shot his gun today with 140 Accubond and RL-19. It was also a good combination.

3. squirrelduster

squirrelduster Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help.
    I ordered some 140 accubonds.

4. burnley

burnley Member

i use 140grn sierra gamekings and H4350 - shot lots of Fallow and roe - good clean kills

5. BLACKLAB23

BLACKLAB23 New Member

Howdy From Texas ........ Just read about your questions about good hand loads for the 7mm08. I've been shooting that caliber for about 10 years in a Remington Model # 7 .... 20 inch barrel. This hand load work very well in my Model # 7 .... consistantly shoots 1/2 groups. I've used it only on West Texas Whitetails. Have never recovered the bullet and never lost a Deer. Usually they drop in their tracks (using a high shoulder shot placement)
    The load is Hornady 120 grain Spire Point Bullet, CCI-200 Primer, Remington Brass and 48 grains of Varget Powder. According to my Chrony ... this averages 3150fps in my 20 inch barrel.
    Just purchased a TC Pro Hunter in 7mm08 and plan on testing this same load in it. I'll give you a report after I shoot.

6. burnley

burnley Member

Couldn't get mine to shoot lighter bullets well. Shame coz i quite fancied the 130's. If you run the figures through quickload or the likes for aim off type shooting out to 200-250yds there is little argument in it's uses. Ah well the 140's do just fine! Also 20" barrel Tika 595 though