TC Encore 300 RUM

eric2381

Anybody ever heard of one?

Anybody shoot a TC Encore?

I'm considering one, if I can get it in 300 RUM. I could get a longer barrel, yet not have a really long rifle. Plus I can load the 200gr. AB bullets out to where they belong and not be concerned about magazine length.

I have a TC Contender in 7mm TCU and it's a really accurate pistol. If the Encore is anything like it is, I would be very happy.

Last edited:
Re: TC Icon 300 RUM

I don't see 300 RUM listed on the TC web site. But, a guy can get anything made. The frame should be able to take it, as it takes the 300 Win mag.
progress.gif

Sorry don't have any experience with TC.

But just for clarification!
So, you have a Contender and you're looking for an Encore in 300RUM and not an Icon?

If so then you might want to change the name of the thread to reflect that.

I can't get the title changed to Encore.

I'll check with SSK. Thanks, ICANHITHIMMAN

Edit your initial post and then hit the 'go advanced' button in the lower right corner. This should let you change the title.

AJ

Its a marginal chambering at best in the Encore. The RUM case is too big in diameter and length for the barrel, there isn't enough steel around the case to handle top end pressures. That is why T/C doesn't offer any of the RUM's,
The 300 Win Mag works because it is shorter with a smaller diameter.

JD338

I was hoping that because the RUM case is as big around as the belt on the classic magnum case, that it could work as well.

I may be wrong. I have a few emails out as well to TC, and SSK. I'm researching anything else as well.

Maybe I'm out in left field here......:rolleyes:

For a compact strong action without a cartridge length restriction consider rebarreling a Ruger #1.

Also from my limited experience with Encores they don't have nearly as nice of triggers as the Contenders. That's not saying a Ruger #1 has a great trigger either.

Last edited:
Not just no, but hell no. I bought a 7mm Rem Mag Encore with dreams of having a single shot long range gun, and all I did was spend lots of money. With the money I have tied into that thing I could have just bought a Sendero. With the smaller calibers 223-7mm08 they seem to be OK, but thats it. There are alot of aftermarket things you can do to take the wobble out of the hinge pin and float the barrell, but it dosn't gain anything. Also most of the barrels I believe are made to shoot the more popular light weight ammo, not the heavy B.C. stuff we like. My 7mm Rem Mag would about beat you to death at the bench with an aftermarket recoil pad, I wouldn't want to feel a 300RUM. And to answere your question I have heard of it chambered in 300 RUM, but its a custom barrel. I even saw one in a 30-378. The best way I have seen to make an accurate by our standards T/C is to have a custom barrel made in 7mm 08 or 280 AI, use the oversized hinge pin, free float it, pillar bedding, and get the custom reloading dies made specifically for your rifle. Then MAYBE it will shoot good (to 3 or 4 hundred meters). I fell to the TV stardom of the Encore but don't you do it. Don't get me wrong, if your mission is to shoot a deer at 100 yards once a year then its an awesome rifle, but you won't need a 300 RUM for that.

I read a post with pictures of a T/C Encore 338 RUM and the gun blew up. For the life of me I can't remember where it was. IMHO, get your 300 RUM on a 700 action and don't look back.

JD338

matchgrademachine.com will make you about anything that can be done safely. I got a picture of an rum that had come apart in a t/c and I see they don't list them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.