Target Scope Recommendation

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by bookworm, Apr 3, 2010.

1. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

Looking for recommendations on a high mag (36x?) target scope.

I'm not currently planning to compete, but playing around to see how small of groups I can shoot.

My budget is relatively light...preferrably less than $500ish.

The two scopes I'm looking at right now are the Weaver T-Series and the Sightron SII Competition series...leaning toward the Sightron due to the eye relief and slightly lower price.

I hear that a lot of people have used the Weaver over the years, but my only concern is eye relief (only 3").

I can't find much for comments on the sightron.

Any experience with either of these scope and/or recommendations for other scopes I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

First, do not buy a 36x or anything over 20x for live varmits; the field of view is so narrow that you have trouble getting the varmint centered. For competition, I have two Weaver 36's, a Leupold 40X and a NF 12-42. The NF and Leupold have both been returned for repairs. But, I have never had a problem with either Weaver. I bought a Sightron 36x many years ago and did not like it. They tell me the new Sightrons are very good. You can't go wrong with the Weaver 36x selling for about $350.

3. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

Thanks Gene - appreciate the response.

How is the eye relief on the Weaver? They list it at 3"...do you feel that is accurate? You ever have it on a rifle with a good amount of recoil?

I have a 300WM that I want to mount this on and 3" is probably marginal. Maybe on a bench set-up it would be enough.

4. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Never considered the eye relief to be a problem. Don't even know what Weaver claims it to be, but you can check it out. Currently, one Weaver is on a factory class Savage .223, the other 36 is on a custom 6mmBR. Neither generates much recoil. I have a friend with one on a 25-06, and he has no complaint about the eye relief.