target or varmint 30-06

npd

Dose anyone make a target or varmint rifle in 30-06. I see alot of 308's but I really want a 30-06. Will I have to get one custom or semi custom any help would be great
thanks Chris

i believe the rem 700 sendero in the older model with the black matte barrel and action came in 30-06. you could call remington. i have seen them for sale in 270 and 25-06. i share your preference for the 30-06.roninflag

I was talking to a smith about his work at a gun show and kiddingly asked why no 30-06. He smiled and said that he had never owned one. He was always looking for the perfect task specific caliber. I think his quote was "The 30-06 wasn't excellent at any one thing but very good at everything." No one should be without one. (the last quote was mine)

You can get the Tikka T3 Varmint (blue or stainless) in 30-06 with their standard long action. I have the 308 stainless varmint version and have to say I love it, especially in 308. My next choice for LRH in this would be the 338 win-mag, but they also make the 300 win-mag if you want as well.

FWIW I like Savage actions as well...someone was pointing out their new 12 F/TR Precision Target Rifle which looks like a sweet piece (in 308 sorry)

http://www.savagearms.com/2007_pressrelease.htm

Matt Roth

I too had an itch for a heavy 30-06. Rem never made the sendero in that caliber, so I looked elsewhere. The only other two companies that made factory rigs in 30-06 were savage and winchester. Both are hard to come by now, but they do exist. I bought a winchester 1965 24" heavy barrel a few years ago and have never looked back. If I found another, I would likely buy it as well. I have also been considering building a savage with a heavy barrel, but haven't gotten around to it.

aftermarket douglass XX premioum barrels (chambered) and ready to install are available from SharpShooterSupply for the Savages in most common calibers and variety of contours. If I remember right, cost was right at $305.

BH

You can't find a good heavy 30-06. I've had a Tikka 695 for 16 years and two years ago I had it modified and now I have a kick *** long range 30-06. With scope and all it now weighs 15 lbs and rocks.
If you want a heavy 06, then I'd say get a Tikka t3 the have it immediately upgraded as I did.

Rifle1.jpg

Have a 30-06 in a Tikka T3 stainless came in fourth the other day out of 15 teams. Like a 06 for many things hunting and targets.
A friend of mine built a 280AI a real sweet shooting rifle 22min at a thousand
with 3100fps on a 162 Amax very impressive. Local shoots are saying no more 300 wins or mags. Just for now thinking about it.
The 06 is hard to beat....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts