Target of Opportunity

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by HawkeyeFan, Jan 8, 2011.

1. HawkeyeFan

HawkeyeFan Member

Today while driving to cut wood I saw a coyote headed toward a brush pile. Since I had my muzzleloader in case I encountered a deer I decided to take a long poke at the varmint. To my surprise the yote headed to a closer brush pile and didn't seem to notice me at all. Long story short I popped it at 30 yds. with a 275 grain .45 powerbelt and 100 grains of 777. A traditional coyote load indeed! I tell this story as I would like to hear other stories of yotes taken while not actually coyote hunting. I have killed 5 in my life and only the first was when I was actually hunting them. The rest were all during deer hunting, checking cattle, or saw them behind the house. By the way that first one was when I was 16 and I used a Win. 94 .30-30 and 170 gr. Silvertip. Another traditional yote slayer.

Please share,

HawkeyeFan

2. 264junkie

264junkie Well-Known Member

I remember a big male that fell to a 3" load of #4 while trying to side sneak my turkey decoy at 12yards a bunch of years ago....that was BIG dog. Man didn't he make some noise when those BB's hit him!

3. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're using enough gun!