Target knobs for Leupold 4.5 x 14 Vari-X III

jmden

Can I put target knobs on this thing? It doesn't have any right now.

Any idea of manufacturers/features if it can be done?

Are these things watertight?

I've seen the Stoney Point knobs, but in doing a search here, I saw a negative comment or two

Thanks.

Send it to Leupold, they will install them for you. I think they run about $60 for one or around $100 for elev. and wind. Although the wind. knob isn't really as crucial as the elev., so you might want to consider just the elev. knob unless you are gonna be shooting out past 7-800 yds. I think Premier Reticles may also install them but I'm not sure about their cost. Hope this helps.

I put the stoney points on my 3.5X10 Var III. It helps to read the intructions first, not last. A small washer has to come out before you install them.

There is a little allen screw that I did not get tightened up fully and I didn't have the correct wrench with me at the rifle range when it loosened up, but I do not consider that to be any real problem with anything other than me. The divisions on the dial match up pretty well to the scope. If they were to malfunction in the field you would just unscrew them and use the original adjustment dial. Takes about 15 seconds to get them off.

I would recommend them.

Get it done. You will like them a lot better if you want to do any dialing. I have one that was done earlier this year. Left my house and was done and back in 4 days.

Also take a look at the item below from Brownell's. It a replacement set of torx screws with screwdriver to replace the allen sets that come from Leupold. The stock sets will strip out and the allens won't turn them. These replacements with torx work great and I've had absolutely no problem zeroing the turrets and they stay tight.

100-000-327 KMW #874 TURRET-LOC & SCREWS

Hi, thanks for the help ss7mm, rumshooter, JustMe and buffalobob.

I'm not sure that I understand the target knob concept fully. Maybe you guys can set me staight.

I checked out the custom shop at Leupold and it looks to me that the target knobs they install are custom set to your particular bullet and load (BC, MV)--a bullet drop compensator which seems very specific to your load. I guess I'm a little leary going that way because if I wanted to change something about my load, the knobs wouldn't work anymore. Am I right?

I think I want some knobs that work off MOA with my 1 click = 1/4 min. scope adjustments. This seems like it would allow my to use my Sierra ballistics program to compensate for drop and windage with much more flexibility in terms of possibly changing loads. Is this correct?

Do the Stoney Point knobs work off of MOA?

Thanks for the help.

jmden

Well, I called Stoney Point and their knobs don't work the way I'd like. Their knobs basically just have a scale etched on the side and the number of clicks you rotate may or may not match up with a number or etching on the target knob. You have to work up a cheat sheet of clicks vs. the scale on the target knob according to the guy I talked to. They are made to be very generic to fit several different scope manufactures apparently. This could work, but it adds another layer of computations which I don't want to do.

All I want is a target knob that's made for my scope (Vari-X III 4.5-14--about 2 years old) that registers one mark per click (1 click = 1/4 min.). I'm in the process of talking to Kenton Industries about what they offer.

Any ideas?

jmden

jmden

Know how you feel. Some days it is all I can do to remember my name.

My Stoney Points fit my Luepold 3.5X10 VIII that is about 10 years old. Four clicks per mark. Cannot guarantee that they would do that for you.

I have some very, very old Kentons that do not line up with the clicks of the scope they are on. You are right. It is a complexity that is better avoided.

If you get desperate go get a set of knobs and then hire Brown Dog or 4ked Horn to build you a covers for your knobs that does line up with your clicks.

You can see them
here

jmden,
Leupold CAN make knobs to correspond to certain loads for your rifle. But the reg Target knobs are just the plain knobs. That is what they install for the above prices. I would say get the reg Target knobs so you have the flexibility your looking for. I wouldn't use the Stoney points either. If you have more questions i'd highly reccomend calling either Leupold or Premier reticles and they explain everything well.

I called and talked to a Leupold tech. and he said that they do not make target knobs (BDC or otherwise) that will fit my standard (no target knobs) scope. That seems to contradict the custom shop description which says:

Adjustment Dial Changes--
Adding target-style adjustment knobs to your scope is just one example of the adjustment dial options you have from the Leupold Custom Shop. We can install the dials of your choice in almost any Leupold scope (the LPS models being the only exception). We can even change the dials of the VX-III Long Range M3 to those of the VX-III Long Range M1. You can have the elevation dial alone changed, or change both. The combinations are many, and the choice is all yours. Contact the Custom Shop for more information.

Hmm....

Kenton Industries can make a knob for me that would give me a mark for each click of the scope adjustment that fits on the Stoney Point knobs. The top knob portion of the Stoney Point knob is taken off and then the Kenton Ind. knob is put on. This would give me what I want, but it's about $70 for the Stoney Point knobs shipped and $110 for the Kenton Industry adapter knobs--that's getting a bit steep.

What is it that folks don't appreciate about the Stoney Point knobs? Buffalobob, are they working OK for you?

Thanks,

jmden

JMDEN
I went and got my gun out and clicked the dials to make sure everything is the way I think it is.

Here are the facts

Leupold 3.5X10 VarX III AO bought new about 1985 (older than I remembered). The stoney point knobs have main marking that are exactly the same as the four clicks per inch of the scope. I bought the knobs this spring from Cabelas.

To get from 100 yds to 1000yds - which I have done with it- you you spin more than one revolution so it is important to spin back to 100yds after you are done or you can just spin to the top or bottom and then spin to 100 yds zero if you forget where you left it set.

It is not waterproof. It will resonably keep a drizzle out of it but if the gun got dunked in a beaver pond (again!) I would believe some small amount of water could get in to the dial.

If you will send me an email then I will send you the dial pasties that Brown Dog and 4ked horn sent me. I don't think they will mind. You can study them and then make you a set of your own that fit your needs if you are good at that sort of thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts